Forest Ecology -Silviculture-Field Technicians
Department of Forestry
Employment type: Seasonal
Application Due Date: May 15, 2023
Position description: Would you like to work on a research project that will result in meaningful changes to the health and management of hardwood forests in the Great Lakes region? The Applied Forest Ecology (Silviculture) Lab in the Department of Forestry at Michigan State University is seeking research technicians for the 2023 field season (mid-May through mid-August). Our lab is currently collecting tree regeneration data following various harvest treatments. This work takes place across 70 northern hardwood forests in Michigan (scattered throughout the northern lower and upper peninsulas) and consists of quantifying tree regeneration density and herbaceous vegetation coverage on these sites. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply (see instructions below in "To Apply"). Work may be available through the end of 2023.
- Experience or aptitude for plant identification
- Familiarity with Google Maps and GPS navigation
- Interest in forest ecology/silviculture
- Ability to walk 2-3 miles per day on rough terrain
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record may be required
Compensation: Starting wage is $15/hour minimum, commensurate with experience, up to 40 hours per week. Field housing will be provided free of charge to all crew members, as well as transportation on work days.
Time Frame: Work will begin in mid/late May, with work available through mid-October (start/end dates flexible depending on courseload). Field season could extend beyond October, weather permitting.
Working Conditions: The position will be field-based, including some hot and humid weather. Field conditions may include carrying a less than 30-pound pack and exposure to inclement weather, uneven terrain, insects and allergens.
Location: Field sites are located throughout the Upper Peninsula and northern Lower Peninsula in Michigan.
- MSU students: Apply via Handshake by searching for Job #7436954 or email to Evan Farinosi at firstname.lastname@example.org (cc: email@example.com) with “MSU Field Technician 2023” in the subject line.
- Individuals who are not eligible for MSU student employment should apply to the Forestry Technician position at https://careers.msu.edu by searching for Job #844042.
- Include a CV/resume, a brief cover letter outlining your interest in the position and relevant experience as well as your dates of availability, and three professional references with contact information (including email and phone number).
Deadline: Applications will be considered until May 15, 2023, or until the positions have been filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
The College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (CANR) at Michigan State University (MSU) is committed to achieving excellence by creating and sustaining an accessible and inclusive culture that values cultural and academic diversity. MSU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. The CANR is particularly interested in candidates of all backgrounds who are committed to the principle that academic excellence is achieved through open access and proactive inclusion.