Forestry Intern in Bingham, ME, Greenville, ME & Lancaster, NH
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Bingham, ME, Greenville, ME & Lancaster, NH
Application Deadline: December 1, 2022
Weyerhaeuser is among the largest and most geographically diverse private landowners in the nation with more than 13 million acres of timberlands in the United States. We have a variety of excellent opportunities for Forestry Interns to join our New England team during the summer of 2022 at various office locations including:
- Bingham, Maine
- Greenville, Maine
- Lancaster, New Hampshire
Our highly regarded internship program provides college students with an excellent opportunity to gain valuable field experience working with our teams on real-world situations and projects. This internship program is open to current undergraduate and graduate students in academic programs such as forestry, forest management and related fields.
Our Summer Intern Program offers you a chance to achieve the following:
- Gain valuable experience in forest management
- Collaborate with professional foresters
- Explore forestry disciplines and career interests
- Learn progressive practices from an industry leader
- Earn an income
- Build a professional network
- Contribute to the future of sustainable forestry
What Our Interns Do?
Forestry interns work alongside and under the supervision of professional foresters, wildlife biologists, and other forestry professionals to actively manage Weyerhaeuser forestland. Our internships are structured as entry-level jobs that expose participants to dozens of skills and build proficiencies in a variety of forestry disciplines and duties. These areas may include:
- Harvest Block and Riparian Zone Layout
- Harvest planning and contract administration
- Reforestation/PCT Quality Control
- Site Preparation administration
- Regeneration surveys
- Road construction and maintenance
- Forest products utilization
- Assists Regional Wildlife Biologists with various projects
- Use of current technologies, including FMS, Collector and PDF Maps
How the Program Works
The majority of Weyerhaeuser forestry internships will take place over the summer and last from three to four months. Our interns take part in a variety of both office and field activities and may travel to different forest locations within a 100 mile radius of their base location, gaining experience in diverse forest stands. No two days are alike, and this broad professional exposure to working forest operations provides a solid foundation for future educational choices and career opportunities.
- A minimum of one year of college studies in Forestry, Forest Engineering, Forest Management or a closely-related field required
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited SAF college in the United States
- Completed courses in Dendrology and GIS preferred
- Successful completion of a forestry summer camp or an equivalent summer field skills camp preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Commitment to work safety
- Willingness to work in all types of weather; ability to perform strenuous work in remote areas on all types of terrain
- Willingness to travel overnight for company purposes
- Must possess a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record
- Ability to read a map and use a compass and GPS
- Basic knowledge of forestry
- Ability to work well with co-workers/contractors/agencies in unsupervised situations
- Ability to accurately document work and demonstrate knowledge of and compliance with safe operating procedures
We believe trees are a remarkable resource that can and should be managed responsibly to make a range of products that meet human needs, while also providing recreation, wildlife habitat, and other important ecosystem benefits.
For more than a century, we've been taking care of forests to make life better.
We sustainably manage forests and manufacture products that make the world a better place. We’re serious about safety, driven to achieve excellence, and proud of what we do. With multiple business lines in locations across North America, we offer a range of exciting career opportunities for smart, talented people who are passionate about making a difference.
We know you have a choice in your career. We want you to choose us.
Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. Inclusion is one of our five core values and we strive to maintain a culture where all our people feel a sense of belonging, opportunity and shared purpose. We are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce and supporting an equitable and inclusive environment that inspires people of all backgrounds to join, stay and thrive with our team.