City of Cedar Rapids
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Application Deadline: September 14, 2018
CSC-500 15th Ave SW Cedar Rapids, IA
Parks and Recreation
9/14/2018 4:00 PM Central
Supervises and schedules the work activities of the Forestry field crews; Monitors safety record and ensures that performance metrics are met, Answers resident phone calls, assists city arborist with special programs as needed, performs related work as required.
Considerable leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative. Supervision is exercised over the work of Urban Forester I and II classifications.
Position Schedule: Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Examples of Duties/Knowledge & Skills:
- Plans, organizes and supervises the construction and maintenance activities of the Urban Forester classifications within the Parks & Recreation Department;
- Reviews work requests and prioritize assignments after initial assessment of tasks;
- Requests additional technical information from City Arborist/Forest as necessary;
- Coordinates annual, monthly, and weekly work schedules;
- Establishes job priorities and time frames for crews;
- Monitors completion of job assignments to ensure compliance with standards and instructions and revises instructions and time frames as necessary;
- Provides technical advice to field crews on Forestry procedures, equipment and safety issues;
- Responds to requests for information from other City Departments, homeowners and the general public;
- Researches innovations in Forestry equipment, procedures and pesticide materials and trains all employees in the implementation of any new device or activity;
- Develops purchasing specifications and oversees purchase of new equipment;
- Provides technical advice to other City departments as requested;
- Develops and delivers presentations and attends meetings, conferences and workshops;
- Conducts timely performance reviews and monitors performance and staffing needs;
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies, procedures and safety practices;
- Attends work regularly at the designated place and time;
- Supports continuous process improvement initiatives;
- Performs related work as required.
Minimum qualifications and Requirements:
- Required Knowledge and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the procedures and equipment used in Forestry operations;
- Thorough knowledge of tree care, including up to date pruning standards and techniques, use of common insecticides, fungicides, and fertilizers;
- Thorough knowledge of hazards and safety precautions of tree cutting, pruning and chipping;
- Good knowledge of types of local trees and common diseases associated with the area;
- Some knowledge of landscape planning;
- Ability to operate tree planting and removal equipment;
- Ability to recognize hazardous location of trees or tree limbs;
- Ability to use hand and power tools;
- Ability to manage, coordinate and evaluate the work of others;
- Ability to prepare accurate and reliable reports containing findings, conclusions and recommendations on forestry related issues;
- Ability to operate a personal computer using program applications appropriate to assigned duties and responsibilities;
- Ability to work cooperatively and to maintain effective working relationships to accomplish job responsibilities;
- Ability to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology;
- Ingenuity and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
- Acceptable Experience and Training:
- Graduation from High School or GED, supplemented by additional training in Forestry, preferably an Associate's Degree in Forestry or a closely related field and
- Considerable experience in Forestry operations; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
- Required Special Qualifications:
- Current pesticide applicator license for ornamental category or the ability to obtain within a year;
- International Society of Arborist certification as an arborist or municipal arborist within 6 months of appointment.
- Valid Iowa Commercial Driver's License (Class B) with appropriate endorsements and valid Medical Examiner's Certificate.
- Tree Risk Assessment Qualification and Certified Tree care Safety Professional recommended.
Please click the "Apply" button below or click the following link: http://www.cedar-rapids.org/local_government/departments_g_-_v/human_resources/current_openings.php