Heartside Gleaning Initiative
Employment type: Part-Time
Job Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Application Deadline: August 7, 2019
Heartside Gleaning Initiative (HGI) empowers Heartside and surrounding communities to become healthier through increased access to healthy foods and nutrition education. We do this by collecting excess produce from farmers’ markets and transporting it to Heartside and surrounding low-income neighborhoods for distribution to individuals, food pantries and free and low-cost meal programs.
Learn more about us by visiting our website: http://www.heartsidegleaning.org/
The main duties include gleaning from the Fulton Street Farmers’ Market, distributing produce to individuals and partner agencies, developing and maintaining farmer and volunteer relations, and overseeing volunteers and interns. This is a part-time position that requires the employee to work approximately 10 hours per week, 22 weeks per year during the gleaning season (May - October). The bulk of these hours will take place on Saturday afternoons; remaining hours are flexible throughout the week.
The primary responsibilities of the Gleaning Coordinator include, but are not limited to:
- Outreach and development of ongoing relationships with weekly volunteers and farmers at the market
- Recruit, retain, train and schedule volunteers for gleaning activities
- Participate in gleaning most Saturdays from June through October
- Drive a truck and transport produce from markets and other donation sites to distribution sites
- Coordinate maintenance of website and social media outlets
- Plan, direct and lead the work of 1-2 interns
- Microsoft Office proficiency
- Strong oral communication skills
- Managerial abilities including planning, delegating, and task facilitation
- A high school diploma required, college degree preferred
- 1 year or more of leadership/management experience required
- Ability to drive a truck, valid driver’s license required, clean driving record; CDL preferred
- Demonstrated interest or background in farming, non-profit administration, sustainable agriculture, nutrition, or social work preferred
- Demonstrated ability to interact, direct and collaborate with diverse populations, including those who are experiencing mental illness or substance abuse preferred
$13 - $15/hour; the minimal listed requirements will be used as a baseline for compensation decisions.
- Ability to lift and move up to 50 pounds for extended periods
- Ability to listen and speak
- Ability to reach, bend, kneel, and squat
Heartside Gleaning Initiative is an equal opportunity employer and thus values diversity in our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.