Green Corps Youth Coordinator
Holden Forests and Gardens
Employment type: Seasonal
Job Location: Cleveland, OH
Application Deadline: May 31, 2017
Green Corps Youth Coordinator – part time (garden 2017)
Position Title: Green Corps Youth Coordinator
Department: CBG Green Corps (618545)
Holden Forests and Gardens (Holden Arboretum & Cleveland Botanical Garden) has a part time Green Corps Youth Coordinator position available in the Green Corps program at the Cleveland Botanical Garden campus. This person will increase the capacity of the youth aspect of the program. Green Corps Youth Coordinator will provide resources for youth counseling, as well as, guidance for seasonal staff and youth on ways to build and maintain a healthy, safe, and supportive work and learning environment within the Green Corps Learning Farms and surrounding community.
Green Corps is an urban agricultural, work-study program for high school students in Cleveland. Students work as a team to maintain Learning Farms, sell produce to neighbors and at markets, and participate in environmental events. Throughout the season, students follow a curriculum based on life and work skills, agriculture, community and environmental stewardship, and sustainability.
- Reports to the Green Corps - Manager of Operations
- Works with Farm Managers/ Assistants / Apprentices
- Works with Students
- Works with Volunteers
- Cleveland Botanical Garden and 5 urban learning farms on the east side of Cleveland, Ohio, USA
- Located in the heart of Cleveland’s cultural, health, and education district, 10 minutes east of downtown Cleveland.
- Holden Forests and Gardens is 12th largest public garden in the U.S. It is comprised of two campuses, Cleveland Botanical Garden and Holden Arboretum.
- Recruit and facilitate hiring of students for Green Corps program
- Work with outside Temp Agency to plan and implement the youth hire paperwork and meetings, maintain student timecards and records and execute proper procedures throughout the season
- Work with Green Corps staff to plan and implement Youth Orientation Day, Career Day, Learning Farm Open Houses, Farm events, program field trips and community outreach
- Work with Manager of Operations to train seasonal staff on youth aspects of the program
- Oversee implementation of program curriculum by seasonal staff
- Work with Learning Farm Managers to conduct student pre/post-tests, curriculum, record keeping and recommendations
- Aid Learning Farm Managers with any youth disciplinary actions needed
- Work with staff and youth at farmers’ markets, events and on special projects
- Communicate positively and effectively with students, their parents and community members.
- Provide feedback to improve and grow Green Corps.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Extensive staff training provided.
- Bachelor degree in Social Work, Adolescent Development, Youth Counseling, Education or a related area is preferred and/or relevant experience or background required
- Experience working with high school aged youth
- Strong attention to detail and administrative experience preferred.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds, as well as excellent communications skills in a positive, team-player environment is essential
- Some event planning experience is preferred.
- Interest in farming/gardening is necessary.
- Must be able to lift 20 lbs. and work outdoors in urban farm conditions
- Candidates must be at least 21-years old
- Must pass a criminal background check / drug test
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required to be covered on Holden Forests & Garden’s vehicle insurance policy
- Part Time
- Hourly, non-exempt
- Approximately 25-35 hours per week (total 1390 hours)
Wages: $18 per hour
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume online: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=15525341
Posting Date: January 2017
Closing Date: Until Filled
Holden Forests and Gardens (Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.