Greenhouse and Growth Chamber Research Technician
University of Florida
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Gainesville, FL
Application Deadline: October 31, 2018
Laboratory Technician II
Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Laboratory Technician II
- Performs research work at the University of Florida, Gainesville and in commercial greenhouses by gathering data, collecting samples, and documenting results in technical reports. This data collection will include performing a variety of standard laboratory, greenhouse, and growth chamber experiments and analyses such as substrate testing and measurements of plant growth. Operate and maintain a variety of laboratory equipment including pH, electrical conductivity, sanitizing chemical analysis, data loggers, and environmental sensors. This will often include working as part of a team of undergraduate student assistants, graduate students, and other staff. Orders and inventories materials to maintain supplies.
- Plant care including irrigation and fertilization, sanitation, pest monitoring, and pesticide application. Drives a state vehicle to off-site commercial grower locations.
- Greenhouse and growth chamber maintenance, construction and renovation.
- Be able to work successfully in a team.
- For field work, especially in off-site commercial grower locations, physical access may be difficult. Activities will often be in hot conditions and high humidity. Greenhouse maintenance, construction, and renovation activities will require the ability to climb ladders, lift heavy objects, and handle power and manual tools.
- Greenhouse injectors, pumps, irrigation lines, fans, pads, lights, heating systems, power and manual tools
- Greenhouse and growth chamber environmental control computer
- Research sensors and data loggers
- Other duties as required.
Associate's degree in an appropriate area and two years of related experience; or a high school diploma or equivalent and four years of related experience. Appropriate college course work or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Preferred qualifications include experience in plant propagation, hydroponics, or in a commercial greenhouse operation, including practice with pesticide application and crop management in greenhouses. Horticulture science coursework is highly desirable.
Be able to work successfully in a team.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
Health Assessment Required: Yes
To apply, please click the "Apply" button below or click the following link: http://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/cw/en-us/job/508481/laboratory-technician-ii/