Greenhouse Growing Intern
Employment type: Internship
Job Location: Coldwater, MI
Application Deadline: January 30, 2020
Our Maroa Farms facility, a high-tech fresh produce greenhouse in Coldwater, Michigan, is currently seeking a Greenhouse Growing Intern to join our team. The essential function of this position is to work with the head grower to learn about all areas and functions of the greenhouse.
- Shadow and work directly with the Head Grower.
- Discuss and implement climate strategies and adjustments.
- Picking, packing, sorting, twisting, pruning, clipping, de-leafing, truss support, lowering, winding and suckering, quality checks, plant crop removal, and greenhouse sanitation.
- Measure daily basis of the EC, pH and drain numbers.
- Follow the Company standards set for picking time limits and required quality.
- Daily monitoring and scouting of pest and disease in the Greenhouse.
- Proper management and distribution of bios (live insects or mites) according with instructions of the Head Grower/Assistant Growers.
- Follow IPM protocols of pest and disease management.
- Grade and pack all product(s) according to company/customer specifications.
- Maintain product quality standards that meet product specifications.
- Be part of group walks with company technical advisors.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Currently in an accredited college or university undergraduate program with a core focus in Greenhouse Operations, Agricultural, Biology or similar required.
- Must have a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Previous experience working in a greenhouse or farm preferred.
- Spanish language proficiency preferred.
- Must be high-performance team player and be willing to work in a dynamic, growing, demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Professional oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and maintain attention to detail.
- Proficient in computer skills (Microsoft Office).
- Self-motivated, positive attitude, work independently and in team setting.
- Ability to take continuous direction.
- Position requires sitting, standing, walking and bending prolonged periods.
- Must have manual dexterity to perform computer skills and operate equipment.
- Ability to work at heights and be trained on a scissor lift.
- Capable of lifting at least 30lbs.
- Working in refrigerated as well as Non-Air-conditioned warehouse for prolonged periods.
- Greenhouse Environment, where the temperature averages 70°F and background noise approaches 70 dcbs.
We are pleased to offer the following Benefits:
- Paid weekly
- Employee Engagement & Recognition Programs
- Opportunities for growth and advancement
Mastronardi Produce has accommodation processes and policies in place and provides accommodation for employees with disabilities. If you require a specific accommodation because of a disability or documented medical need, please contact the Human Resource office so that arrangements can be made for the appropriate accommodation to be put in place.Apply