Walters Gardens Inc.
Employment type: Internship
Job Location: Zeeland, MI
Application Deadline: December 27, 2018
Walters Gardens Inc., located in Zeeland, MI, is a leading grower of perennial plants since 1946. We take great pride in the superior quality of our young plants and field grown products, diverse product selection, customer-focused staff, our extensive hybridizing program, and the ability to offer the best new introductions from around the world.
We have an opportunity for a Greenhouse Intern from May – August of 2019. As an intern for Walters Gardens, you will work primarily in the growing and plant health departments, but you will also experience many other parts of the business. You’ll learn about and participate in the activities we do to grow high quality plants. We’ll expect you to actively collaborate with the team, so you can help us produce plants while meeting our extremely high standards for efficiently, safety, and economy. Our goal is to help you learn a lot and have a lot of fun doing it.
Essential duties include:
- Personal Responsibilities
- Learn process for tracking trials.
- Develop a trial project to track with help from your supervisor. This could include PGR, irrigation, fertility, propagations, etc.
- Help the Research and Development department with hybridizing of various plants.
- Learn the various recommended moisture levels and assist growers with maintaining these moisture levels.
- Assist growers with operating, maintaining, and scheduling all sprinkler and irrigation booms.
- Aid Assistant Growers with collecting soil and tissue samples and running tests to determine pH and EC of soils
- Learn to schedule and apply weekly fertilizer, based on soil test results collected.
- Assist with mixing fertilizer and ensuring the proper feed is being applied through irrigation systems.
- Help the plant health department scout for diseases and insects in perennials.
- Learn and assist with methods of controlling insects and diseases through chemical or biological means.
- Understand the importance of Plant Growth Regulators in production and help with tracking applications.
- Help with identifying and sampling viruses that are commonly found in perennials.
- Experience tissue culture lab and assist in the production of this material.
- Assist employees with data collection and assessment paperwork.
- Team Responsibilities:
- Communicate any problems or concerns to growing department or plant health department managers immediately.
- Help maintain a culture which respects people and promotes team success.
- Be involved with team meetings that address various topics.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Qualified applicants must have demonstrated ability of:
- Pursuing a degree in Horticulture or a related field
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Able to communicate and interact with co-workers
- Capable of effectively handling multiple tasks
- Willing to work flexible hours