West Virginia University
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Morgantown, WV
Application Deadline: February 6, 2019
Greenhouse Manager - Agriculture, Natural Resources & Design
The Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources & Design at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a Greenhouse Manager. The Greenhouse Manager is responsible for the daily operation and maintenance of the greenhouse and controlled environments including coolers and growth chambers located both in the greenhouse and new agricultural sciences building. In support of this responsibility, the incumbent oversees and supervises one full-time employee assigned to the facility, student workers, federal work study students, and volunteers.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Set and maintain the desired environmental conditions in the greenhouse and controlled environments, greenhouse space allocation at the discretion of Controlled Environment Committee and the Division Director.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment, directing the maintenance and repairs of key equipment, maintaining environmental records, implementation of an integrated pest management program, and developing and enforcing greenhouse policy with guidance from the Controlled Environment committee.
- Plan, direct, and supervise various greenhouse activities such as watering, planting, sanitation, coordinating the disposal of excess plant material and hazardous materials, crop scheduling, fertilizing, application of pesticides, purchasing and maintenance of equipment, selection and purchase of seeds, propagative materials, containers, media, and any and all other materials essential to the optimal operation of the facilities.
- Support teaching, research, and service efforts. The incumbent conducts tours, workshops, and special meetings if needed.
- Assist faculty and students with research and teaching programs that require use of controlled environments.
- Assist with off-site activities such as maintenance of on-campus gardens, outreach efforts on various university properties, and to otherwise be available to support faculty and students in their work.
- Consult and communicate with WVU faculty (including USFS-NRS scientists), staff, and graduate and undergraduate students on teaching, research, and outreach needs and provides efficient greenhouse operation in support of these needs. Provide regular training of faculty, staff, and students on greenhouse safety procedures and policies, practices, and rules.
- Act as building supervisor of the greenhouse classrooms, laboratories, work areas, and storage rooms and as such is responsible for the Evansdale greenhouse safety program, which includes proper location and use of fire extinguishers, evacuation procedures, and safety training of faculty, staff, and students.
- Supervise and direct the use of autoclaves, electrical equipment, pesticides, and any potentially dangerous equipment or materials, and provides safety protocols for handling potentially dangerous situations.
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in Horticulture or related discipline. A combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- A minimum of one year of demonstrated greenhouse management or work experience is required.
- Have or obtain a pesticide applicators license/certificate within 6 months of hire date.
- Follow Environmental Health & Safety guidelines.
- Participate in WVU medical monitoring program.
- Obtain State issued P-Card.
- Ability to work in greenhouse situation - humidity, wet, around plants and chemicals and pesticides.
- Supervisory abilities.
- Ability to work weekends and/or holidays for watering plants as needed (rotating schedule usually)
West Virginia University is a place to grow, explore, interact and learn. It’s a place where innovation meets passion, where potential meets talent. It’s a place that makes a difference in the world. And do you know why? Because it’s a place with you. This University is only capable of such big things because of our employees. Thank you for your hard work, dedication and tireless efforts toward progress. We love having you here. Let’s go!
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
Please click the "Apply" button below or click the following link https://wvu.taleo.net/careersection/staff/jobdetail.ftl?job=10015&tz=GMT-04:00.Apply