Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: West Sacramento, CA
Application Deadline: October 19, 2018
Who We Are:
Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks are joining forces, forming a new company that will build technology to enable microbes to improve key properties of agricultural crops. The company will have laboratories in both Boston, MA, and West Sacramento, CA, where we will leverage the existing organism engineering and plant biologics capabilities of the parent companies. Primary corporate operations will be carried out at Ginkgo Bioworks' headquarters in the Boston Seaport.
The Joyn Bio team in West Sacramento is looking for a full-time experienced greenhouse specialist to support greenhouse trials and maintain smooth operation of the greenhouse. The West Sacramento Joyn Bio team is committed to tackling large agricultural problems. If you are excited by the application of new technologies and looking for professional growth, we highly encourage you to apply!
The primary responsibilities of the successful applicant will include:
-Monitoring all aspects of plant health, including pinpointing sources of biotic and abiotic stress and implementing a strategy to mitigate sources of undue stress.
- Monitor, record and report pest pressures. Identify appropriate pest management protocols and act as a liaison for the company to satisfy internal/local/regional/governmental compliance measures for reporting.
- Design, install, program and maintain irrigation lines.
- Act as the point person of contact to members of the lab, assist in the development and execution of timelines to meet research objectives.
- Support researchers with the application of experimental treatments.
- Contribute to and support daily operations of the greenhouse, including contributing to a clean, organized and safe environment.Identify how we can improve safety, compliance, and daily operations.
- Provide high attention to detail to ensure that all work is executed to the highest degree of ability and reproducibility.
- Support researchers in the propagation, maintenance and fertigation of plants.
- Support researchers in the collection of experimental data.
- Seek relevant opportunities to keep current about technological developments related to greenhouse management, agriculture and biologicals.Implement technologies that will improve greenhouse operations and support.
- Ensure that all greenhouse users are trained and using required PPE to maintain safety compliance.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- 1-2+ years experience with a degree in horticulture or related background, or 6+ years experience in greenhouse operations with a H.S. diploma.
- Demonstrated passion for continuous educational and professional growth.
- Knowledge and experience in working with crop systems including corn, wheat and soy.
- Knowledge of plant mineral nutrition, propagation and maintenance.
- Demonstrated experience in supporting operation of the greenhouse. Experience in the development of automatic irrigation systems.
- Knowledge of the application and implementation of pest management procedures.
- Flexible to work on weekends or after-hours as necessary or in case of emergency.
- Lift up to 50lbs and spend significant time on feet.
- Demonstrated use of technologies in greenhouses is a plus.
To learn more about the company:
We are building a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with scientists and engineers from all walks of life. We can’t afford to leave any talent untapped. It is the policy of Joyn Bio to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.