Grower/Assistant Production Manager
Becker Tree Farm & Nursery, Inc.
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Hobe Sound, FL
Application Deadline: January 23, 2019
Primary Scope of Position:
To assist in the planning, coordinating and supervision of all tree farm and nursery production operations in order to maximize the efficiency and profitability of the farm.
- Assists with the coordination of daily work loads with crew leaders and their crews with the goal of minimizing labor costs while maintaining quality work and maximizing production.
- Assists in the organization and direction of production contract labor crews working on the farm.
- Learns the Work Order System and assists in the formulation of work orders for all production tasks and has an understanding of how it impacts the business cost analysis.
- Responsible for accuracy of crop inventory through physical counts, transfer and consolidation work orders while accounting for sales and shipping transactions.
- Study and master the Florida Grades and Standards in order to identify high quality levels for sales and future production.
- Assists in the selection and tagging of crops used to upsize to larger sizes on the farm.
- Works together with Production Manager, Nursery Manager, System Administrator, Computer Programmer, and office management in the development, redevelopment and implementation of current and future operating systems for Work Order system, or other related systems.
- Assigned to Safety Committee to contribute to the planning and scheduling of our mandatory monthly safety training for all tree farm personnel. Maintains meeting attendance records on file.
- Assists with the preparation of sales and production records to complete application to submit for crop insurance on an annual basis.
- Constantly seeks new innovative procedures in all tree farm activities (tree moving, pruning, trellis systems, planting, staking, spraying, fertilization, herbicide application, automation, etc.)
- Responsible for insect scouting, soil and leaf sampling on tree farm and nursery. Reports verbally and with a written report on any issues to Production Manager and Nursery Manager.
- Maintains professional relationships with all Tree Farm and Nursery managers, sales staff, administrative staff, general employees, customers, subcontractors and vendors.
Other Principal Occasional Duties:
Assume daily responsibilities of Operations Manager role in the event of his/her absence.
B.S. degree in Horticulture
2+ years in wholesale nursery operations
Number of People Supervised:
4-6 (crew leaders and assistant nursery manager)
Type of Supervision Given:
Give verbal and written instructions to crew leaders and other hourly nursery personnel as directed by Nursery Manager or Production Manager.
Type of Supervision Received:
Receive daily written and verbal instructions from Production Manager and Nursery Manager.
Internal Working Relationships:
Cooperate with sales, shipping, and production personnel of Becker Tree Farm to facilitate accurate information sharing to the benefit of the farm.
Know company rules, policies and procedures; federal, state, and local laws, rules and regulations; all pesticides legal for use on ornamental tree farms in Florida; working knowledge of all equipment used in tree production. Knowledge of tree and shrub species, problems associated with them and corrective measures.
- Mechanical, technical, and analytical skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Access and Windows
- Superior supervisory skills
- Spanish language helpful, but not necessary
- Analytically able to maximize labor productivity, production and profitability
- Has ability to work well with many employees as well as customers.
- FNGLA certified horticultural professional
- Work order and inventory systems
- Tree and plant identification
- Restricted Use Pesticide License (currently held or obtained within 6 months)
- Valid Florida Driver's License
Describe any seasonal variations in position duties, including amount of hours worked, physical conditions, exposure to elements, etc.
- Work weeks of 50+ hours are common with weekend responsibilities once fully trained
- Legally allowed daily exposure to pesticides with safety gear provided as required
- Daily exposure to wind, rain, hail, extreme heat and freezing temperatures
Other relevant job demands such as heavy lifting, eye strain, unusual stress conditions:
- Walking, bending, sitting, squatting, kneeling and driving are all daily activities
- Has ability to occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
For more information, or to apply, please contact Rick J. Melchiori, P.E General Manager (772) 234-5234 (Office) or RMelchiori@BeckerHolding.com. To see more information about this posting, please click here.