Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Zeeland, MI
Application Deadline: February 28, 2021
Bloomscape is a Direct to Consumer plant brand with a mission to become the simplest source in the world for buying and enjoying quality plants. Plants nourish our living spaces in a way that’s deeply vital and increasingly necessary in our modern lifestyles. By completely changing the way people buy and experience plants in every area of the home and garden, our big vision is to make Bloomscape the most recognized brand in plants.
Bloomscape's Grower will be a key team member in a fast growing business based on innovation in the plant to consumer space. The Grower will own the management of operations of a 72,000 foot Indoor plant holding greenhouse in Zeeland, MI that receives plants from distant growers, maintains and improves them, and ensures high quality standards for ready-to-ship plants.
The key deliverables are keeping a very high percentage of plants under care in a ready-to-ship condition to include hydration, and pest and disease control, and doing so within budgetary targets with minimal plant loss. The Grower will be a key source of information and advice to team members responsible for inventory accuracy, customer experience, governmental compliance, shipping, and procurement/supplier feedback. The Grower will advise on determination of supplier delivered plant quality compared to our standards during the new plant receiving process, collaboration with inventory control on plant condition, setting and driving standards on plant spacing, disease and pest related treatment, enforcing sound greenhouse and plant care processes, and improving processes for greater productivity.
This position requires strong assessment skills of plants coming from numerous growers and application of corrective steps. You will often be supporting other teams to be successful and thus will need a strong sense of internal customer service and a servant leadership mindset. You will often be the “behind the scenes” rockstar making others look really good!
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain proper moisture levels for various foliage and annual varieties and sizes.
- Maintain optimum nutrition levels for various varieties to ensure customers receive plants in peak condition.
- Insect control
- Continuous scouting crops for insects.
- Apply pesticides as needed to control insects and ensure customers receive insect free plants.
- Stay current and comply with pesticide regulations.
- Maintain detailed records of applications and rates.
- Disease control
- Monitor crops for root and foliage issues
- Apply fungicides as needed to manage
- Crop spacing
- Advise team of proper spacing to ensure plant quality
- Ensure greenhouse space is maximized and used efficiently.
- Crop maintenance
- Direct team for any plant cleaning or maintenance required
- Environment Control
- Manage Priva system
- Light levels
- Ensure optimum light levels in the greenhouse are managed for various crops.
- Direct crop placement in greenhouse areas with appropriate light levels
- Manage ideal conditions for various crops
- Inform plant buying team of any issues with supplier and problem information
- Work with Inventory Control on plant status and plant spec issues
- Work with Sr Buyer for assistance in problem solving
- Manage inventory of growing supplies.
- Ensuring access to the facility is controlled and inventory is secured with minimal loss
- Facility Management
- Ensuring the facility and related equipment and grounds are maintained to Bloomscape standards
- Adhering to applicable regulations for safety and plant health by various governmental entities both locally and in destination jurisdictions
- Preparing for inspector visits and prompt correction of non-compliance to standards and maintenance of applicable certifications
You will be required to engage in physical greenhouse activities with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Lifting and moving material up to 49 pounds each
- Bending, lifting, stretching and reaching both below the waist and above the head
- Frequent walking in the building and around area; facilities are over a quarter mile in length
- Standing and walking for up to 10-12 hours a day
- Ascending and descending ladders, stairs, and gangways safely and without limitation
- Ownership mentality
- Creativity - consistently finds ways to invent and simplify processes
- Trust/teamwork - builds trusting professional relationships and can be counted upon by the team to deliver results in a cooperative and mutually respectful manner
- Can-do attitude - willingness to apply your knowledge to try new things
- B.S. Degree in Horticulture
- 5+ years’ experience in commercial crop production
- Current Pesticide Applicator Certification for greenhouse crops
- Strong research, decision making, critical thinking,communication, and problem solving skills
- Awareness of industry trends, technology, and developments
- You are authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
- Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus
- Excellent communication skills
- Proactive, enthusiastic hard worker with an eye for detail
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage time effectively
- Self-motivated with ability to work in ambiguity and still drive forward
- Problem-solver with an inquisitive and innovative mind
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced ever-changing environment
- Previous startup and/or e-commerce experience, a plus
- Committed employee with a passion for plants and the Bloomscape brand