Grower & Plant Health Specialist
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Bridgeton, NJ
Application Deadline: June 30, 2021
Founded in 1952, Overdevest Nurseries is a third-generation, family-owned, wholesale grower of trees, shrubs, and perennials. We partner with independent, local garden centers throughout the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic region. We specialize in just-in- time deliveries of colorful, retail-ready plant material positioned for maximum consumer interest. This is an opportunity for an exceptionally talented individual to make an immediate and rewarding impact at a leading business in the horticulture industry.
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
Come grow with us! Your expertise with the interrelationship between various components of plant production will be integral in developing and coordinating improvements in our plant health and plant quality efforts. Among the many key components in this systems approach are water and fertility management along with disease and pest control. Our team approach will provide an opportunity to be involved in other pertinent aspects of ornamental horticulture growing – from propagation, to potting, to production, to finished crops – in both gutter-connected greenhouse and open-aired nursery environments. You will be working in coordination with other experienced growers who are driven by a shared goal of plant quality excellence. Ample opportunity and support will be available to spearhead applied research projects for both company and industry benefit.
This is a full-time employment position with an immediate start date. Being an agricultural operation growing perishable crops, candidates must be able and willing to work extended hours during busy seasons (spring and summer). This is a hands-on position.
Primary responsibilities will span the following areas and will vary depending on the season.
• Monitor and enhance all aspects of plant health for over 2,000 varieties of shrubs, perennials, and trees
• Oversee IPM program and implement appropriate disease, pest, and weed control measures
• Evaluate and implement advanced irrigation control systems
• Oversee irrigation management and daily watering schedules
• Help to coordinate plant movement, spacing, and trimming activities
• Utilize drone technology wherever feasible
• Collaborate in the propagation of both woody and herbaceous plants
• Trial and evaluate new plant selections on key criteria including disease resistance
• Devise and conduct research projects to improve production processes; publish results where appropriate
Our ideal candidate is someone who is willing to expand their career horizon yet maintain a “no task too small” attitude. An “owner” mindset with a hands-on approach is a must. Strong communication and interpersonal skills are a must. Candidate must be comfortable working in natural environments with varying temperatures and weather.
• Bachelor degree, or higher, required; horticulture major with specialization in pathology/entomology preferred
• 3+ years commercial growing experience in either nursery or greenhouse environments
• Highly proficient in MS Office; Strong knowledge of MS Excel is a must (an assessment may be given)
• Familiarity with greenhouse and container nursery environmental and irrigation systems is a plus
• Proficiency in Spanish is a plus
• Salaried position from $75,000 to $150,000 per year commensurate with ability, education, and experience
• Eligible for company health insurance and retirement programs; Company vehicle for job related responsibilities
• Participation in a company-wide, year-end bonus program
• Opportunities for professional development through company paid-for industry events
• Relocation assistance may be available
Overdevest Nurseries, LP is an equal opportunity employer providing a smoke, drug, and alcohol-free workplace.
To view Overdevest Nurseries YouTube channel click here