Growers & Assistant Growers
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Sandusky and Castalia, OH
Application Deadline: July 15, 2019
Corso's Wholesale is a division within the parent company of August Corso Sons, Inc. which includes additional branches for garden center, nursery, floral, and landscape. Producing over 10 million plants a year to supply major retailers throughout the Midwest, Great Lakes, and New England, Corso's Wholesale has grown to become one of the largest and most influential perennial growers in the United States.
Growers direct and control greenhouse and outdoor production activities to ensure optimum growth, quality, appearance, and health of plants. Communication skills, organization, teamwork, attention to detail, attention to safety protocols, and exceptional time management skills are critical to the success of this position within the organization.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage all irrigation and growing activities of an assigned section
- Assist with oversight and training of Grower Assistant and Grower Intern positions to ensure all tasks are effectively prioritized and completed on schedule
- Manage and implement sanitation, cultural, and general growing protocols
- Scouting, tracking, and controlling insect and disease related issues using integrated pest management (IPM) practices
- Apply plant growth regulators, fungicides, insecticides, herbicides and biologicals as required to maintain crop health.
- Organized documentation of growing practices, plant progress/timing, and chemical application information.
- Walk greenhouse daily to monitor water management, cultural challenges and opportunities, presence of weeds, nutrient requirements, insect and disease pressure, sanitation, overall plant growth, plant health, and aesthetic appearance
- Removal and record-keeping of substandard, diseased, or unsellable plants
- Plant maintenance such as sheering, weeding, cleaning, plant placements etc.
- Ensure greenhouse environment is optimized for plant growth with Priva environmental managemental software.
- Assist and oversee minor greenhouse repairs, winterizing of greenhouse structures, and winterizing of outdoor growing areas.
- Plan space allocation for new plants scheduled from production
- Assist and advise production barn to ensure proper planting depth and other pre-set-down activities
- Communicate with production barn to ensure the needs of new plants are met
- Maintains inventory of needed growing supplies such as fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, hoses, etc.
- Proven ability to learn new concepts and apply those concepts to a variety of situations to improve growing methodology
- Knowledge of Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and OSHA policies and procedures
- Maintain a clean a safe work environment
- All other duties as assigned
Skills & Qualifications:
- 1-3 years growing experience and/or college degree.
- Must obtain an Ohio pesticide license by February 2020 and maintain active status thereafter
- Spanish fluency is a plus, but not required
- Demonstrated initiative and self-direction
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Effectively manage time and meet all specified deadlines
- Ability to operate and maintain equipment in a safe manner
- Thorough knowledge of plant propagation and cultivation
- High degree of flexibility, with a strong work ethic
- Attention to detail with low tolerance for unmet expectations
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
Please click the "Apply" button below.Apply