Growing Futures Program Coordinator
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: St. Paul, MN
Application Deadline: February 5, 2020
Trees Forever is hiring a full-time Program Coordinator to help lead Growing Futures, a program that will engage a dynamic force of diverse young people planting and caring for trees in the neighborhoods most in need of greening.
Trees Forever has ambitious goals to plant and care for more trees in the Des Moines metro area to help the community meet its sustainability goals. The Program Coordinator will manage tree-planting efforts including siting tree locations, ordering trees, and mobilizing tree delivery. A critical aspect of this work will be organizing volunteers, therefore being responsive and helpful to volunteers and managing them well is critical.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Communicate and manage program delivery expectations and standards with Trees Forever staff.
- Engage, motivate, and coordinate Growing Futures young adult and teenage employees:
- Plan, implement, and supervise three sessions of Growing Futures: March-May, June-August, September-November, including Saturday workdays.
- Recruit, hire and supervise one to two crews per session, totaling 10-20 youths and 2-4 adult supervisors.
- Build and implement mechanisms for evaluating each session through youth and community partner surveys, exit interviews, and data analysis for the purposes of re-hiring teen employees for leader-in-training positions, tracking program over time, and keeping long-term involvement with graduates of the program.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners for career development, scheduling enrichment activities, and guest speakers to cover career readiness and green job opportunities.
- Along with the Program Development Director, maintain and improve existing relations with partner youth and community organizations and seek new relationships and partner organizations that could lead to program improvements.
- Engage, motivate, and coordinate volunteers, community groups, and city staff on the following:
- Local volunteer coordination, development, and recognition including the TreeKeepers volunteer engagement program.
- Coordinate, lead, and participate in planting and educational events.
- Organize and coordinate tree planting and care work to include the following:
- Care and maintenance of tree planting projects.
- Recommendations and/or review of site designs and plans.
- Efficient and effective program delivery models (i.e. efficient routes for planting and watering trees, analysis of existing tree data and areas to target tree planting and care, etc.)
- Prioritization of neighborhoods for tree planting efforts using existing data.
- Fulfill requests for Trees Forever speaking, presentation and display engagements.
- Complete reporting requirements including monthly and annual program summaries. Report weekly on work schedule and accomplishments.
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Interpersonal skills necessary to build effective relationships with staff members, board members, partners, and volunteers.
- Strong leadership traits, such as ability to give/receive constructive feedback, critical thinking skills, organization, and confidence in taking initiative.
- This person will have a proven passion for service, the environment, and sustainability.
- Possess a commitment to working for a non-profit organization and promoting Trees Forever's mission and guiding principles.
- Bachelor's degree preferred, but not required. Minimum of two years experience working with high-school aged youth highly preferred. Demonstrated ability to engage and manage high school-aged youth who may have barriers to employment a plus.
- Outdoor education and leadership experience preferred.
- Some weekend work will be required, primarily on Saturdays in the spring and fall, as well as some evening work commitments. Work outside of standard office hours can be offset through flextime.
- Technological skills and personal discipline necessary to set up and operate from a remote office (with financial support from Trees Forever)
- The Growing Futures Coordinator reports, has day-to-day supervision, and will receive considerable support from the Program Development Director in Des Moines.
- Valid U.S. Driver's License required plus reliable transportation and willingness to travel, including occasional overnight trips and some evening and weekend meetings.
- The Program Coordinator will be expected to attend workshops, seminars, or conferences on topics relating to and benefiting program delivery (to be paid for by Trees Forever).
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions and posses ability to complete all physical requirements including lifting 40 pounds in each hand.
Salary and Benefits
Salary Range: $39,000-$43,000
Benefits: Retirement Plan Match to 4% of salary (immediate eligibility). Access to Medical and Dental Coverage - individual and family plans, Life, AD&D Coverage. 11 Paid Holidays. 18 days accumulation for first year and up to 30 days by year 5.
Please submit cover letter and resume to: Nancy Duncan at firstname.lastname@example.orgApply