Hop Yard Technician
Michigan State University Hop Extension team
Employment type: Part-Time
Job Location: Northwest Michigan
Application Deadline: May 31, 2018
Hop Yard Technician
May – Sept 2018 (actual dates are negotiable prior to hire)
Part-time/Internship, $13.00/hour, 30 hours per week
Friday, May 4, 2018
The Michigan State University Hop Extension team is excited to find a motivated
individual to serve as the unit’s 2018 research technician/ intern. This position will give a
successful applicant the opportunity to:
- Conduct applied field work specializing in hops.
- Gain hands-on experience in multiple agricultural disciplines, including entomology, plant pathology, horticulture, and agronomy.
- Work independently and collaboratively with MSU researchers, industry stakeholders, and farmers to accomplish research objectives.
A successful applicant will:
- Have experience working outside and putting forth excellent effort to all assigned tasks.
- Have good attention to detail and the ability to be flexible with tasks and daily work.
- Be both a helpful team member and capable of conducting independent work.
- Be punctual, organized, responsible and possess an outstanding attitude and strong work ethic.
- Work efficiently in variable weather conditions, since the work is primarily outdoors.
- Be ok with manual labor (pruning, canopy management, and sampling) and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Undergo a routine background check conducted through Michigan State University prior to hire.
- Have access to their own mode of transportation to farm locations around northwest and west central Michigan.
- Enrollment in or completion of either a 2-year or 4-year college program, agricultural subject preferred.
- Previous experience in collecting data from experiments and Microsoft Office software.
- Previous work experience in a field related to plant science (farm labor, crop scouting, seasonal help, etc.).
To apply for this position, email the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter of your specific interest in this position (1 page or less).
- Contact information for 2 professional references (if not included on resume).
Please email these items to email@example.com. You may address your letters to Erin Lizotte
and Rob Sirrine, both MSU Extension Educators who will offer training, guidance and
oversight of this position. For more information regarding this position, click here.