Employment type: Internship
Job Location: Thompsonville, MI
Application Deadline: March 31, 2019
The Landscape Specialist is responsible for various projects related to planning, planting, and caring for the outdoor environments at Crystal Mountain. The position involves assistance with a variety of tasks including the planting of bulbs and plants around resort, trimming of shrubbery, weeding, lawn maintenance, and basic irrigation repairs.
- Plants grass seed, bulbs, flowers, and shrubs according to instructions and planned design of landscape area.
- Applies fertilizer, herbicide or mulch to designated areas.
- Weeds around bushes, trees, and flower beds.
- Transplants bushes and trees.
- Trims hedges, shrubbery, and prunes trees using hand tools.
- Mows lawns using hand mower or power-driven lawnmower.
- Monitors the health of plants, ensuring that they receive enough water, sunlight, and soil nutrients.
- Assists with basic irrigation repairs and maintenance of ponds and fountains.
- Master Gardener, a certificate in landscaping, and/or previous experience preferred.
- Required plant knowledge focusing on, but not limited to perennials, bulbs and native Michigan species.
- Previous experience with lawn care equipment (lawnmowers, trimmers, etc.) preferred, but not required.
- Ability to obtain Certified Pesticide Applicator license with the State of Michigan.
- Valid, unrestricted driver license with insurable driving record and updated criminal background check required.
- Self-directed and able to maximize use of time, resources, and technology.
- Exemplifies professional conduct and adherence to company Core Values.
- Enrolled in a 2 or 4 year horticulture program or related field.
Physical & Other Requirements:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear.
- Must be able to work outdoors comfortably and work on one’s feet for long periods including squatting and bending.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 30 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Evenings, weekends and holidays are a regular part of the schedule.
- Must have excellent attendance and conduct record for consideration.
- Non-smoking candidates preferred.
About the Organization:
Resort Recreation Benefits:
ALL employees at Crystal Mountain receive these resort benefits to include FREE; fitness center, indoor pool, outdoor water park, golf, wellness programs, climbing wall, adventure courses, alpine slide, mountain biking and trail access, group ski lessons, downhill skiing/boarding and ski & snowboard rentals. DISCOUNTS on; spa services, fitness classes, retail products & apparel, food, lodging and personal training!
Established in 1956, Crystal Mountain is a family-owned, four-season resort recognized nationally as one of the Midwest’s premier destinations. Located 28 miles southwest of Traverse City, Crystal Mountain offers 58 slopes for downhill skiing and snowboarding, Crystal Mountain Snow Sports School, winter activities like dog sledding, cross-country skiing and fat tire biking, snowshoeing through Michigan Legacy Art Park, the Edge Adventure Course, award-winning Crystal Spa, fine-dining, shopping as well as wedding, meeting and conference facilities.
Please click the "Apply" button below.