Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Application Deadline: July 20, 2018
Director of Horticulture
Full Time, Salary, Exempt
June 26, 2018
July 20, 2018
The Horticulture Manager is responsible for managing the grounds horticulture staff; overseeing the care, maintenance and display quality of gardens and collections; helps with the preparation and management of the annual horticulture budget; networking with the green industry. Areas of management include: Outdoor areas, including but not limited to: Sculpture Park, Japanese Garden, Farm Garden, Shade Garden, Children’s Garden, Main Entry, Urban Garden, Wetlands.
Supervision, guidance, direction, and support of the horticulture staff. Set clear expectations and standards based on horticultural excellence and the Meijer Gardens Mission Statement and Guiding Principles. Participate in the team preparation and management of the annual horticulture budget, including operational as well as capital expenditures. Participate in the interview/hiring process for horticulture positions. Manage and submit electronic payroll. Conduct staff performance evaluations. Meet with staff on a regular basis. Provide opportunities for staff enrichment and training. Walk through individual work areas with staff.
Ensure volunteers are being trained and utilized for appropriate opportunities in horticulture. Encourage team work with other departments. Represent Meijer Gardens in a positive and professional manner through speaking engagements, presentations, and social media. Help with the coordination of horticulture department plant orders.
Perform other duties as required in the scope of the job as designated by the Director of Horticulture.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Education: B.S. in horticulture or equivalent.
- Experience: 5 years experience in the green industry; 2 in a supervisory position.
- Specific Skills: Strong organizational skills; ability to lead and manage; understanding of horticultural best practices; public speaking.
- Specialized Knowledge, Licenses, etc.: Good knowledge of plants; knowledge of appropriate chemical and biological control; understanding of basic landscape design; pesticide applicators license, valid Michigan driver’s license.
- Supervisory Responsibility: Supervises hourly horticulture staff, seasonal gardeners, summer gardeners and volunteers.
Ability to work in varying weather and temperature conditions both indoors and outdoors (all weather, any season), operation of various hand tools and power equipment, use and apply chemicals, ability to lift 50+ lbs. Able to work in an office environment. Flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays.
If you are interested in working for one of West Michigan’s premier cultural institutions and with a highly-motivated team… send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park is an EOE. All candidates are required to submit to our background and drug screening process.