Internship Program- MANY Horticultural Positions
The Smithsonian Gardens
Employment type: Internship
Job Location: Washington, DC
Application Deadline: December 1, 2020
Internships opportunities are intended to enrich the interns experience by expanding their work skills and understanding of the many integrated programs that support a large and successful public garden operation.
Smithsonian Gardens accepts internship applications from current and recently-graduated undergraduate and graduate students studying horticulture, landscape architecture, museum studies, education, or other related fields.
Interns may arrange for academic credit through their college or university.
Available internships include:
- Archives of American Gardens Internship
- Education and Outreach Internship
- Enid A. Haupt Internship (year-long internship)
- Greenhouse and Interior Plant Production Internship
- Horticulture Internship (available in summer and fall only)
- Landscape Architecture Internship
- Orchid Collection Internship (available summer of even years)
- Orchid Exhibit Internship (available in winter of odd years)
- Plant Health Specialist Internship
Applications for internships should be received no later than the dates listed below.
- Summer Internships: February 1
- Fall Internships: July 1
- Winter/Spring Internships: December 1
Stipends and Expenses:
A limited number of stipends are available each year for internship positions.
Interns must pay for their own travel, housing, and subsistence during the period of the internship. Steel-toe safety shoes meeting ANSI Safety Standard Z41.1 are required for certain internships.
- Submit an online application
- Two letters of recommendation
- College Transcripts
- Essay describing background, interest in field, career goals, and chosen project
- To apply for an internship with Smithsonian Gardens, fill out an online application using the Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment system (SOLAA) at https://solaa.si.edu
- Select “Smithsonian Gardens” from the drop-down Office/Museum/Research Center list.
- The application must include an online application, two letters of recommendation, college transcript(s), an essay statement of interest describing the applicant’s background, interest in the field, career goals and chosen internship project. Additional information may also be required for select internships (see internship descriptions).
Internship projects, schedules, and other parameters vary based on a variety of factors and are determined by staff mentor and prospective candidate at the time of interview or selection. Some departments offer internships only at particular times.
Further details about the internship and how to apply can be found on the website at https://gardens.si.edu/learn/internshipsApply