Horticulture Technical Assistant
Ruth Mott Foundation - Applewood Estate
Employment type: Seasonal
Job Location: Flint, MI
Application Deadline: May 1, 2017
The Ruth Mott Foundation is accepting applications for a Seasonal Lower Garden/Front Lawn Horticulturalist. This position assists the Foundation’s professional horticulture staff in maintaining Applewood: The Charles Stewart Mott Estate’s living collections including its gardens, lawns and natural areas as well as delivery of public programs. As a seasonal position this person will work up to 40 hours per week from spring through fall, not to exceed 1,000 hours per year.
The primary duties of the position include:
- Assists with preparation, planting, harvesting and maintenance of annuals and perennials, lawns and woody plants, including watering, mulching, pruning and pesticide application as directed by staff.
- Push mows, weed whips and cleans up walks, drives and stairs within the fence.
- Assists with programs for the public including guided tours, set-up, tear down, and interaction with guests.
Minimum qualifications of the position include:
- Ability to properly use grounds hand tools and mechanized equipment.
- Passion for working outside and 2 years of experience maintaining a landscape.
- Must be able to obtain Michigan Commercial Pesticide Applicator's license with Ornamentals certification within 30 days after hiring.
- Punctual, responsible, self-motivated individual able to work independently and within teams.
- Detail-oriented with excellent time management skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- A willingness to positively interact with staff, visitors and volunteers.
- Ability to work collaboratively with individuals from all sectors of the community and a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with people from different cultures and backgrounds, with colleagues, and community-based organizations.
- Occasional evening/weekend hours are required.
- B.S. or Associates degree in Horticulture, Floriculture, Botany, Landscape Design, or Environmental Science desirable but not required.
- Ability to walk up and down stairs; bend, stoop, kneel, walk and stand for long periods of time; to pull/push, lift and carry up to 50 pounds on a regular basis; and to reach both above and below shoulder height. Tolerance of working outdoors the majority of the time. Ability to use loud and physically demanding hand tools/machinery.
The Ruth Mott Foundation recruits team members that are a economically, culturally and ethnically diverse as the community we serve. We are committed to diversity and inclusion in all of its forms, including but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, protected genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For more information, please visit the foundation website at www.ruthmottfoundation.org . To apply, email resume and cover letter firstname.lastname@example.org . Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.