Employment type: Full-Time
Application Deadline: March 31, 2017
Filoli is looking for a talented candidate to join our team of committed professionals dedicated to achieving
high horticultural standards, along with a dedication to historic preservation. The Horticulturist works under
the direct supervision of the Area Lead Horticulturist. This position is responsible for providing care and
protection of Filoli’s gardens and grounds including: historic plant collection, lattice, brick paths, walls, gates,
structures, flooring, decorative objects, tools and equipment, etc.
This is a fulltime position that works 7:00am to 3:30pm Monday through Friday, as well as some evenings and
weekends to support Filoli events. This position is eligible for employee benefits: medical, dental, vision, life,
LTD, Flex plan, 401(k), Vacation, sick leave and holiday pay. Starting pay is $21.09 per hour ($43,875
annualized). Please note that there is no public transportation to this site, so reliable transportation is
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Preservation and care of the gardens:
- Clean-up: leaves, debris, pools and drains, deadhead and groom pots and beds, etc.
- Planting and soil preparation: use of equipment to prepare and amend soil, dig holes, plant bulbs,
trees, annuals, plant in formal rows, follow a planting plan, etc.
- Watering: adhere to schedules and adjust according to CIMIS, check soil moisture, look for leaks, hand
water, install and inspect new irrigation systems, etc.
- Pest Control: use of sprayers with proper application and recording of pesticides, weed beds, cultivate
flower beds, maintain QAC, proper cleanup, storage and disposal methods, bird netting, etc.
- Fertilizing: use of broadcast and rotary spreaders, record applications, etc.
- Pruning: train young trees, hedges, topiary, and vines, removal of poison oak, clean and sharpen
- Hedging: groom borders, low hedges and potted plants, shape topiary, shear formal hedges and yew
- Carpentry and Maintenance: install headers and make repairs, make supports or cut flower cages,
monitor and keep drains clean, etc.
- Assist with special events: parking, set-up and remove signage, set-up tables and chairs, put up holiday
trees and garlands, assist with emergencies, etc.
- Comply with the Filoli Injury Illness Prevention Plan and Filoli Pesticide Use Policies
- Provide assistance and training to interns and volunteers
- Lead group projects and teach intern classes
- Regular and predictable punctuality, attendance and dependability
Education and/or Experience:
- Degree in Horticulture (preferred), or directly related field of study and directly related experience and/or
training or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A Certified California Pesticide Applicators Certificate is required within 6 months of employment and
must be maintained
- Possess a valid US Driver’s License and maintain a good driving record
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to safely use: rotary mowers, reel mowers (both walk behind and ride-on), aerators, dethatchers,
blowers, weed eaters, power edgers, rototillers, electric hedgers, chain saws, pole saws, scaffolding,
ladders, sprayers, chippers, dump trucks, electric carts, pneumatic pruning equipment, generators, etc.
- Ability to effectively clean and store equipment
- Ability to safely adjust mower heights, rototiller and chain saws for appropriate usage
- Ability to properly use personal protective gear
- Ability to label and record gas usage, fertilizer and pesticide use, planting information, propagation data
entry, temperatures, irrigation schedules, daily work schedules, etc.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and
- Ability to communicate (listening and speaking) effectively with volunteers or employees of the
- Ability to demonstrate consistent and predictable punctuality, attendance and dependability
- Ability to take direction, multi-task and work effectively in a team environment.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Current driver’s license for use of company owned vehicles and automobile insurance for personally owned
car used in the course of business. California Pesticide Applicator’s Certificate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee tosuccessfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enableotherwise qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing theduties of this job the employee is regularly required to:
- Use hands to finger, handle, and feel; reach with hands, shoulders, and arms; talk and hear,
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, color vision and ability to focus vision
- Read documents such as safety rules, operation and maintenance instructions and procedural
- Perform repetitive motions up to 50% of time using tools, equipment and a keyboard & mouse
- Lift/carry up to 50 pounds
- Stand, walk, reach, lift, carry, crouch, push, and bend, and extensive use of orchard and extension
ladders up to 16' and scaffolding up to 25'
- Move about to different buildings and gardens located on the grounds
- Able to drive vehicles and large garden equipment
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but there are occasions (2-3x a day) when the noise level requires the use of protective gear to shield ears. Due to the use of garde equipment and possible airborne debris, the use of protective eye gear is required when appropriate
HOW TO APPLY
Please note: Only candidates who provide all the information below will be considered.
- The email subject line must say: Horticulturist I
- Resume and cover letter outlining work experience, formal education, and special qualifications/skills.
Resume and cover letter must be attached using MSWord format or PDF – do not include resume in
the body of the email
- Three letters of recommendation
Materials can be emailed (preferred) to email@example.com
Or mailed to: Filoli
86 Canada Rd.
Woodside, CA 94062
- Attn.: Human Resources/Careers
Please, no phone calls