Horticulturist- Michigan Farm Garden
Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park
Employment type: Full-Time
Application Deadline: May 15, 2021
Supervisor: Horticulture Manager
Pay Type: Full time, Hourly, Non-exempt
Specific but not limited to MFG, WSG, Boardwalks & Nature trail. Responsible for the care, maintenance and development of the Gwen Frostic Woodland Shade Garden, Wege Nature Trail, Frey Wetlands Boardwalk, and the Michigan Farm Garden & Farm Loop Tram Trail. Maintain cleanliness, organization, and stock of Tool Crib. Seasonal designs, plant selection, ordering, careful attention to accession record keeping, and plant labeling are critical components of this position.
- Responsible for the daily care, maintenance, and pest management of all assigned
- Development and installation of horticultural displays, planning, design, plant selection, plant rotation, placing orders, and record
- Tool storage area at Farm Garden: Keep clean, free of clutter, and items being stored in
- Golf Cart: Keep clean, free of clutter, and items being stored in
- General Use Tool Crib: Keep organized, tidy, free of clutter and trash
- Performs a wide range of plant care/maintenance tasks important to the preservation, protection and transplanting of existing plants; including but not limited to soil preparation, planting, pruning, mulching, weeding, watering, fertilization, irrigation, pesticide application and Integrated Pest Management
- Completes display designs on a regular basis, orders plants as needed for designs and oversees/performs the layout and installation of the
- Ability to lead and direct the work of others to complete general projects, including other staff and volunteers is required.
- Oversees the day-to-day responsibilities of display presentation, plant care, maintenance issues, and volunteer assignments.
- May be responsible for interacting with the media (TV, radio, newspaper, etc), working with Public Relations to provide information especially as it relates to horticultural content and
- In “winter” months, plows paths and roadways, shovels snow, reporting early or staying late and on weekends and holidays as
- Remove compost and properly place materials for
- Maintains general care of horticultural tools, and equipment (i.e., apply lubrication and general cleaning. Refers more serious problems to Supervisor)
- Embrace and adhere to Meijer Gardens’ mission, brand statement, operating model, policies, procedures, and guiding principles with a strong emphasis on professional behavior and the treatment of others with dignity and respect
- Embrace the fact we are a non-profit institution that serves the public and that you will work with a broad and diverse group of employees, volunteers, members, and guests
- A flexible and collaborative culture is important. Other duties may be assigned within the department as well as across the organization.
Education and/or qualifications:
Education: B.S. degree in Horticulture, Biology, Botany and/or related field.
Experience: Minimum of (2-3) years’ hands-on, relevant horticulture work experience required
Skills/Knowledge/Licenses: Excellent working knowledge of tropical, annual, and greenhouse plant materials and maintenance techniques. Proficient in operating various landscaping tools and equipment. Ability to obtain and maintain valid drivers, chauffeurs, equipment operators, MI pesticide applicator’s licenses, and pass a respirator fit test as defined by worker protection standards. Proficient experience using Microsoft Office suite (i.e., Outlook, Excel, Word).
- Manual labor - Ability to work in all weather conditions and greenhouse environments (i.e., temperatures over 100°F as well as temperatures below 0°F, in rain, high humidity, snow and other inclement weather conditions) as well as an office
- Ability to lift/move up to 10 pounds regularly, frequently up to 50 pounds, and occasionally up to 100 pounds. (i.e., load, unload and move gardening supplies, medium to heavy weight tools and equipment)
- Requires standing, walking, bending, stooping and reaching for extended periods of time-- 90% or more of the workday is standing on feet
- Ability to wear Garden-issued Personal Protective Equipment
- Actively works hands-on with horticulture crew to complete landscape maintenance tasks and projects Flexible schedule will include some evenings, weekends and holidays.
If you are interested in working for one of West Michigan’s premier cultural institutions with a highly motivated team… send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply online at http://www.meijergardens.org/contact/careers/.
Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All candidates are required to submit to our background and drug screening process.