Hunter Park Gardenhouse Internship
Allen Neighborhood Center
Employment type: Internship
Job Location: Lansing, MI
Application Deadline: April 11, 2019
Hunter Park GardenHouse Internship
January - May and/or June -August 2019
The Hunter Park GardenHouse is project of Allen Neighborhood Center, a 501(c)(3) organization in Lansing, Michigan. The GardenHouse serves as a demonstration site and hub for year-round garden education. Neighbors volunteer to grow food, flowers, and community; and youth develop job and life skills in service to the neighborhood. Since 2008, the Hunter Park GardenHouse has empowered neighbors to grow, prepare, and eat healthy food to better their health and become more connected with the community. We are open 5 days a week, and offer a wide assortment of programs.
GardenHouse volunteer shifts are held Monday-Friday, 9:30am-12pm. Summer hours additionally include evening volunteer shifts from 5-7:30 pm Monday-Thursday, and occasional weekend hours.
Allen Neighborhood Center’s Hunter Park GardenHouse is offering 3 unpaid internships this spring semester, and 6 summer internships. We are able to partner with academic institutions to provide this internship for college credit.
This person will serve as the Hunter Park GardenHouse Intern who will:
- Serve as Hunter Park GardenHouse shift leader 3-4 times per week (guide-by-the-side with volunteers to plant, harvest, water, weed, etc., and engage with visitors).
- Document GardenHouse programs through social media (maintain Facebook page with photos & updates).
- Work with the GardenHouse Director to develop and implement GardenHouse special projects (i.e. native bee house, pollinator garden, host educational workshops etc.).
- Commitment to serve 8-10+ hours per week.
- Desire and ability to engage with a diverse group of people, particularly those living in low-income distressed neighborhoods.
- Ability to function independently and in a team environment.
- Experience and/or interest in sustainable gardening/farming.
- Familiarity with social media (Facebook) and basic photography.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter and resume to Volunteer Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org, 517-999-3919.
More information about the Hunter Park GardenHouse
Facebook page: www.facebook.com/HunterParkGardenHouse
To see the full posting please click here.