Rose Innovations, LLC
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Greenfield/Hales Corners, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Application Deadline: August 6, 2018
Rose Innovations, LLC, home of the Knock Out® Rose series, is a home-based horticultural and
aquatic operation with a high-end, ornamental botanical garden spanning 2 acres. Rose
Innovations, LLC has a reputation for introducing the most sought after roses for the home
gardener. Since our inception, the industry standard has shifted to a greater focus on easy care,
low-maintenance, beautiful roses, and our roses have played a key part in this shift. This
relatively small facility is exceptionally successful with a total of 34 rose and 2 perennial patents
to date. The whole operation is a reflection on its owner, William J. Radler and the non-profit
William Radler Foundation.
We are currently seeking an experienced Hybridizing Assistant for our location in the Greenfield/
Hales Corners, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin area.
Candidate must possess an extensive background in horticulture encompassing planting,
fertilizing, pruning, watering, transplanting, propagating with a keen eye for placement of
annuals, perennials, woody plants, trees and roses. Must be proficient in plant identification,
terminology and nomenclature.
Candidate must be passionate and well-informed about rose hybridizing and ornamental plant
breeding, the rose industry, current trends in breeding, genetics, disease prevention, pest
treatment, and marketing. A strong desire to be on the cutting edge of rose breeding is
Education and Experience
• Bachelors degree in horticulture, botany, natural science or related field of study.
• Minimum of 2-3 years of hands-on experience in a public garden or conservatory, wholesale
and/or breeding operation, with in-depth knowledge of plant culture, maintenance, and
• Computer proficiency with Apple applications; FileMaker Pro highly desirable.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Highly detail oriented and organized.
• Self-starting and self-correcting.
• Pesticide Applicators License for turf, ornamentals, greenhouse and aquatic pest management
• Ability to perform all job duties.
The Hybridizing Assistant will work closely with William Radler to advance the hybridizing goals
and objectives of Rose Innovations, LLC and serve as an ambassador for the company. To be
successful, the Assistant must:
• Support Radler’s goals and objectives.
• Learn, support and implement the Radler System for hybridizing roses, and other plants as
• Understand the theory surrounding the System and put the principals into practice in all
aspects of the position.
• Evaluate roses in all stages of development from indoor seedlings to fully mature outdoor
• Develop and implement plant breeding program for other ornamental perennials such as
Penstemon and Agastache.
• Work with Radler to maintain a collaborative relationship with the staff of Meilland Roses and
Star Roses and Plants.
• Collaborating with Radler, embrace the goals of Star Roses and Plants to form strategies for
on-going success in meeting changing demands.
• Monitor and address satellite breeding operations.
• Organize and maintain a resource library to include plant information sheets, books we own,
books to acquire, and relevant magazines.
• Work with Radler to develop presentations for industry experts, the general public and inhouse
tours. Lead presentations as appropriate.
In addition, the Hybridizing Assistant will ensure that the garden of approximately 2,500 roses,
and an additional 5,000 annuals, perennials, woody plants, and surrounding area are well
maintained; that the plants are healthy; and the garden is safe and attractive. Knowledge of all
plants, including houseplants, is expected. The Assistant must work closely with the Owner,
Operations Manager and staff of 15 as an essential resource to provide expert advice, guidance
and education. The Assistant must:
• Plant, fertilize, prune, water, transplant, propagate and determine appropriate placement.
• Diagnose plant nutrition, pest control, fertilization and herbicide needs.
• Collaborate with the horticultural team on any and all tasks required for maintaining the
highest standards of landscape management and horticultural operations.
• Interact with staff members to address plant problems/concerns.
• Provide continuing education for staff members.
• Manage container plantings, annual display beds and specialty gardens.
• Assist with garden design, lawn maintenance, multiple-zone irrigation, fountain, stream and
pond systems, and general tree care.
• Utilize inventory systems to communicate inventory changes to include plants, garden
supplies, building maintenance supplies, etc.
• Maintain detailed, accurate records of work, garden maintenance, and plant health as
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Regular attendance.
• Commitment to accomplishing goals including working overtime when necessary.
• Availability to assist with special events.
• Availability to work some weekends.
• Willingness to travel.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use fingers
to handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to walk;
sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or
balance; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee must lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
and occasionally lift and/or move more than 50 pounds with assistance. This job requires
excellent vision including color vision, depth perception and ability to discern minor details.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid
conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions throughout the
year. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This is a full time position. Salary commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants reply by email to Sue at email@example.com. Please include
resume or a brief summary of your education, experience, background and why you are
interested in this position. This is a career position as part of a 15-employee, independently