Internship at Lake Divide Farm
Lake Divide Farm
Employment type: Internship
Job Location: Waterloo Twp, MI
Application Deadline: April 30, 2017
CERTIFIED ORGANIC VEGETABLE FARM - LAKE DIVIDE FARM - HIRING
Stockbridge, MI 49285
40 minutes from Ann Arbor and Lansing, 30 minutes from Chelsea and Jackson
Applications accepted on a rolling basis until filled.
If you enjoy working in a fast paced environment, have an upbeat attitude and strong work ethic, an interest in organic vegetable production, enjoy learning, and are physically able to work long hours outdoor, consider applying. Experience with farm work or other types of outdoor work is desirable but not required.
We have four positions available:
Two full-time positions starting 04-02-2018 and ending 11-30-2018
Two part-time positions starting 06-04-2018 and ending 08-31-2018
Both positions include the potential for long-term employment for the right person.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Ability to lift 50 lbs comfortably and consistently
- Ability to work long hours on your feet, crouched, kneeling, bent, and stretched
- Enjoy working outside
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Pride in work
- Attention to detail
- Enjoy working quickly
- Ability to follow safety practices
- Ability to work independently and on a team
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to follow instructions and ask clear questions
- Interest in commercial organic vegetable production
- Willingness to learn
We offer Educational Opportunities:
There is no substitute for hands-on experience and interns at Lake Divide will gain plenty! This is an excellent opportunity for someone considering farming as a career because it offers involvement and discussion of all aspects of the business as well as a chance to experience the cadence of the growing season. Interns will frequently work directly with the farm owner/operators Helen and Jim, providing a chance for questions and discussion.
Interns will have access to all educational materials in our library and are invited to take an active role in their farm education by creating a wishlist of topics they would like to cover. We will do our best to foster an in-depth understanding of selected topics through direct experience and by providing relevant materials and resources.
Throughout the season the farm crew will have the opportunity to go on tours of different agricultural businesses in the area. At the end of the season, interns will be invited to participate in a season-end review of the farm where we will discuss successes and failures and lay groundwork for changes to be made for the following year.
- Full Time: From the beginning of April to the end of November, 5 days a week, 40-60 hours/week, hours vary through the season. This is an educational position that offers the opportunity to take part in all farm tasks including but not limited to farm planning, greenhouse work, transplanting, fieldwork, and harvesting, as well as running a farmers' market stand.
Pay: $10.00/hour with housing or $11/hour if no housing is needed. Produce included.
- Part Time: From the beginning of June to the end of August, with the potential to stay on longer, 3-4 days per week, averaging 25 hours/week.
Pay: $10.00/hour. Produce included.
To apply, please send a letter of interest, along with your resume (if available) and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org