Landscape Maintenance Operator
Central Michigan University
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Mt. Pleasant, MI
Application Deadline: July 14, 2019
Keeps campus grounds attractive year around; maintains and prepares fields for athletic events; and ensures students, faculty and staff can move about campus even during inclement weather. Performs routine work in the care and maintenance of turf, shrubbery, trees and grounds; performs related work as required.
- High school education or equivalent
- Two years experience in landscaping or work of a qualifying nature
- Possess a State of Michigan Pesticide Applicator Certification in Categories 3A, 3B, and 6
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Ability to obtain, within one year of employment, a CDL Group A with air brake endorsement within the timeframes established by the department.
- Ability to meet the provisions of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations
- Work in a manner that will not endanger the safety of other persons, oneself, equipment and property
- Perform operator maintenance
- Must successfully complete a grounds maintenance course provided by CMU within two years and successfully complete two years of employment in CMU Landscape Operations to progress to a Senior Caretaker level.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Major participant in removal of snow and ice from walks, roads and parking lots
- Hauls waste, litter, equipment, materials, supplies as assigned.
- Mows, rakes, fertilizes, seeds, waters, and cares for turf.
- Plants, prunes and trims trees, shrubs and hedges.
- Spades, prepares soil and plants flowers.
- Sprays plants, flowers, trees, shrubbery and turf.
- Performs manual labor as assigned.
- Marks and maintains athletic field areas.
- Cleans, maintains, and performs minor repair to grounds equipment.
- Operates power equipment such as tractors, vacuums, trucks, reel and rotary mowers, and other motorized vehicles and equipment.
- Performs fundamental installation and maintenance of irrigation systems.
- Operates, loads and unloads light and medium duty trucks.
- Works in other shops/areas as assigned.
- Repairs and paints picnic tables, trash baskets, playground equipment, dumpsters and other grounds-related equipment.
- Places concrete for footers, posts, poles and other applications not requiring a smooth finish.
- Paints grounds equipment.
- Receives training in all areas of grounds work, so as to progress to Senior Caretaker.
Please click the "Apply" button below for more information and to apply for this position.Apply