Learning Farm Manager
Cleveland Botanical Garden
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Cleveland , OH
Application Deadline: April 7, 2017
Seasonal Worker – Green Corps Learning Farm Manager (garden 2018)
Position Title: Seasonal
Department: CBG Green Corps (618545)
Holden Forests and Gardens (Holden Arboretum & Cleveland Botanical Garden) has four-(4) seasonal positions available in the Green Corps program at the Cleveland Botanical Garden campus. Green Corps is a seasonal work-study program for high school students in Cleveland. Students work as a team to maintain Learning Farms, sell produce to neighbors and at markets, and participate in environmental events. Throughout the season, students follow a curriculum based on life and work skills, agriculture, community and environmental stewardship, and sustainability.
This seasonal full-time position requires a high-energy, flexible individual who will be an integral member of the Green Corps team. This person will have responsibility for the day-to-day operation of a Cleveland Botanical Garden Learning Farm including planting, maintenance and harvesting, and the overall education and management of student employees.
- Reports to the Seasonal Worker – Green Corps - Manager of Operations
- Works with Assistants / Associates
- Works with Students
- Works with Volunteers
- Cleveland Botanical Garden – one of 5 urban learning farms on the east side of Cleveland, Ohio, USA
- Located in the heart of Cleveland’s cultural, health, and education district, 10 minutes east of downtown Cleveland.
- Holden Forests and Gardens is 12th largest public garden in the U.S. It is comprised of two campuses, Cleveland Botanical Garden and Holden Arboretum.
- According to the pre-established growing and market plan, implement the day-to-day operation of an urban Learning Farm
- Supervise an assistant, high school age students and individual volunteers
- Manage a weekly farm stand open to the community, which includes advertising in the neighborhood, training assistant and students on farm stand procedures and meeting season sales goal
- Assist in the process of interviewing and hiring students.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with each Green Corps student.
- Build and maintain a healthy, safe, and supportive work and learning environment within the Green Corps Learning Farm.
- Evaluate students’ work, behavior, and learning performance using specified tools and format.
- Act as a liaison with students’ parents and Learning Farm neighbors and community members.
- Lead volunteer groups, tours, and community programming in the Learning Farm.
- Maintain Learning Farm and student records
- Assist with managing booth at Farmers Markets and training students on proper market procedures
- Assist with planning and carrying out Learning Farm Open House and special events
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Candidates must be at least 21 years’ old
- Bachelor degree in agriculture, biology, education or a related area and/or relevant experience or background required
- Experience working with high school age youth
- Management experience is desirable
- Experience working in an outdoor, urban environment
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds, as well as excellent communications skills in a positive, team-player environment is essential
- Extensive staff training provided on teaching skills and gardening/agriculture.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and work outdoors in extreme weather conditions.
- Sitting, standing, kneeling and bending on uneven work surfaces.
- Must pass a criminal background check / drug test.
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required to be covered on Holden Forests & Garden’s vehicle insurance policy
- April through October
- Flexible start date in April; flexible hours in the Fall
- Approximately 40 hours per week
- Hourly, non-exempt position
Wages: $15.25 per hour
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume online: http://www.cbgarden.org/about/employment.aspx
Posting Date: January
Closing Date: Until Filled
This position will be employed through a staffing agency service.
Holden Forests and Gardens (Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.