Natural areas stewardship technician
The University of Michigan, Matthaei Botanical Gardens & Nichols Arboretum
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Application Deadline: August 9, 2021
The University of Michigan, Matthaei Botanical Gardens & Nichols Arboretum is looking for one full-time temporary (9 month, 2 term limited) Natural Areas Stewardship Technician. This position will report to the Natural Areas Manager and will help with the stewardship of the natural areas of our four properties in support of research, teaching, public outreach and conservation goals. This position is 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday with occasional weekend and evening responsibilities.
- Working outdoors, alone or as part of a team, on our four properties
- Locating and identifying native and exotic invasive plants
- Using herbicides, weed torch, power tools and equipment (including some maintenance), hand tools and various techniques to manage exotic invasive plants
- Cutting, dragging and chipping brush. Pulling, bagging and removing exotic invasive weeds
- Assisting with prescribed burns
- Supervising and leading student interns, work-study students and volunteers
- Native plant seed identifying and collection
- Using GPS/GIS mapping equipment and programs
- Associate's degree or higher in a related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A good work ethic, enthusiasm for teamwork and a willingness to learn
- Previous experience with landscape care, botany, ecology or ecological restoration
- The ability to move and transport up to 40lbs
- Must be willing and able to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions, tolerate biting insects, working around poison ivy and other challenges of field work
- An ability or willingness to learn to use a variety of power equipment and hand tools is necessary: tractors, mowers, utility vehicles, chainsaws, brush cutters, wood chipper, etc.
- A State of Michigan Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s License or willingness to obtain one is required (Matthaei-Nichols provides study materials and may cover certification expenses) and a willingness to apply herbicides is necessary
- A valid Driver's License and ability to pass a motor vehicle record (MVR) check is required.
- Experience with any of the following: Restoration ecology, prescribed burns, herbicide applications, native plant surveys, invasive plant removal, general landscaping work, operating and maintaining power equipment
- Previous leadership and supervisory experience
- Experience growing and tending a variety of plants
Compensation: $15 per hour
This temporary position may meet eligibility requirements for health care benefits. For more information, please see the eligibility section for temporary employees here.
For more information about Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum, please visit mbgna.umich.edu.Apply