Organic Farm Manager
Groundswell Community Farm
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Zeeland, MI
Application Deadline: May 31, 2021
Location: Groundswell Community Farm on 7 acres (USDA Certified Organic) is located at 6527 Quincy St. Zeeland, MI. In operation since 2006.
Type of Position: Full Time ($14 and up – Salary position) Position will manage between 8 – 12 individuals. Open until filled
Hours: 7 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. (varied schedule including Saturday’s)
Responsible for managing all aspects of running a farm. Will work closely with the owner and the CSA /Greenhouse Manager. Must have an interest in high vegetable production, organic growing practices and have good attention to detail. Must have knowledge and be able to use farm equipment. Must be able to communicate and work well with staff, customers and vendors and assume an active leadership role.
- Desire to be a farmer or pursue a hands-on career in agriculture. Previous farm experience required, preferably at least one season on an organic farm.
- Works closely with the owner and other managers to oversee farms operations.
- Must be able to operate farm equipment
- Must be able to repair things on farm when needed
- Must be willing to learn all aspects of organic farming and be able to train, manage employees and make day to day decisions regarding work tasks and priorities.
- Must be able to follow organic farm regulations and maintain documentation of all manuals.
- Must assist owner with types of crops to be planted, quantity, mode of harvest and prepare and follow detailed plans.
- Must learn how to develop planting and harvesting schedules, and collaborate with CSA Manager and other farm operators when carrying out these duties.
- Must be comfortable making decisions about timing of planting, trellising, harvesting and tilling crops.
Farm hands are usually on site to assist and train the farm manager as needed and help with duties in the field.
- Must assist with greenhouse and direct seeding in the field, food safety, irrigation, special orders and farmer’s markets.
- Must learn about muck soil and how to maintain crops.
- Must oversee vehicles (contact owner if vehicle has mechanical problems)
- Must work with CSA / Greenhouse Manager to create weekly action plans
- Must monitor health and safety measures at all times
- Must enforce sanitation guidelines at all times
- Must document all farm activities
Other Duties Include:
- Field prep with tractor
- Tilling, planting, spraying, weeding and harvesting crops.
- Assisting in the greenhouse
- Pest / disease control
- Wash station (cleaning vegetables, packaging, prepping)
- Maintaining cleanliness of vehicles and making sure they are operating efficiently
- Assisting with CSA harvest and loading of vehicles
- Harvesting for farmers markets and loading of vehicles
- Scheduling deliveries and delivering orders
- Assisting with online orders and packaging
- Rolling up & rolling down greenhouse and hoop house
- Maintaining storage trailers and coolers
- Must have valid driver’s license and good driving record
- Must pass background check
- Must be willing to take drug test when needed
- Must be able to work early morning hours and be flexible
- Must have reliable transportation
- Must have good communication and have good computer skills
- Must be able to work outdoors in hot, muggy, cold, buggy, rainy and sunny conditions
- Ability to kneel, bend, walk, lift, carry 20 – 50 lb. crates repeatedly
- Ability to stand for long hours
- Must not be afraid to get dirty
- Must be able to work farmer’s markets and CSA pick-ups
- Must be able to take direction and ask questions
Note: Must be willing to follow “USDA Certified Organic” farm regulations and maintain documentation of all farm manuals.
Groundswell services CSA, Farmer’s Markets, SE Market, New Fresh Market, Food Pantries and other vendors.
Interested parties should email email@example.com