Organic Farm Crew
Student Organic Farm
Employment type: Seasonal
Job Location: East Lansing, MI
Application Deadline: March 31, 2017
JOIN THE CREW AT THE STUDENT ORGANIC FARM!
Position: 2017 Summer Farm Crew Member
Hours: Full-time (part-time applicants may be considered)
Farm Description: The MSU Student Organic Farm is a 15-acre educational vegetable farm just south of campus. We grow over 70 types of vegetables, 30 types of cut flowers and raise chickens, turkeys, geese, pigs, beef cattle and honeybees.
Position Description: Summer farm work is hot, dirty, and tiring but extremely rewarding. We work in all weather conditions so applicants must be aware of the weather and must be able to supply proper clothing (boots, rain gear, hat, etc.). Job tasks include all necessary farm labor including seeding, transplanting, irrigation, weeding, harvest and more. We are looking for hard working, dependable people to work through our summer season (May through August). We offer vegetables to bring home and many amazing learning opportunities. Summer crew members are required to work a few weekend days, and to occasionally staff our Monday CSA.
Qualifications: We are looking for current MSU students for our crew. Applicants should be hard working, dependable team players. Previous physical labor experience is preferred. Flexibility and a willingness to learn are necessary. Must be available from the middle of May through August (and later). We prefer to hire workers who are interested in continuing to work on the SOF crew part-time during the school year.
Pay: starts at $8.50/hr with opportunities for raises based on performance
To Apply: Please answer the following questions and e-mail your answers and a résumé to Denae Friedheim at firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon reviewing applications we will set up interviews individually.
Application deadline is March 31, 2017.
1. Why are you a good fit for the Student Organic Farm crew?
2. Explain how you have been a leader in the past. What challenges and successes did you have with this?
3. What work have you done that required working in inclement conditions? What did you do to succeed in those situations?
4. When are you available to work? Please include start date and end date (if applicable) as well as any prior weekly or daily obligations. What is the ideal number of hours you can work per week?
5. Please list the names and phone numbers for two references.