Produce Food Safety Technician
La Casa Verde Produce
Employment type: Seasonal
Job Location: Cedar, MI
Application Deadline: May 1, 2020
- Scout produce growing areas for bird, animal or other contamination; mark for harvesters.
- Assist with maintaining harvest tools in clean and sanitary condition; Hispanic farm worker education on produce safety.
- Wash and pack produce using appropriate OMRI sanitizers, document for traceability.
- Clean and sanitize produce wash and pack house using appropriate OMRI cleaners and sanitizers, document for Food Safety Plan.
- Assist with daily loading of produce from cooler to market van, maintaining inventory and
- Receive unsold produce returning from market, assess for temperature and quality; rehydrate and
repack as appropriate, document inventory.
- Prepare customer education poster on produce safety for farmer’s market stand.
- Perform field and harvest work on subject crops bringing outstanding vegetables to our customers.
- Work one farmers market weekly.
- The successful Technician may return in 2021 to continue a successful Produce Food Safety
Program and vegetable production.
La Casa Verde Produce is a small grower of fresh market produce, flowers and pork for our Farmer’s
Markets in Leelanau County and Traverse City Michigan. We attend six markets weekly during the summer
season. We have 3 acres in production on La Casa Verde, the Home Farm. We have 17 tillable acres on a
40-acre property, The North Farm, 1 ½ miles away; 5 will be in production for 2020. We are Organic
Certified by MOSA, and are MAEAP Verified.
Bachelor level technicians will be paid $12.00/hr for the summer season (enrolled or graduate of
baccalaureate agricultural program). Master level technicians will be paid $15.00/hr for the summer
season (enrolled or graduate of Masters agricultural program). Housing provided in the farmhouse at the
North Farm. La Casa Verde Produce is growing, the right candidate will find opportunity for continued full
time seasonal employment and, in time, full time supervisor and managerial employment.
Send an application letter and faculty reference letter to us:
La Casa Verde Produce
8202 S Schomberg Road
Cedar, Michigan, 49621
For more information please click here