Program Manager - Conservation & Community Engagement
Wildlife Habitat Council
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Detroit, MI
Application Deadline: May 12, 2019
The Wildlife Habitat Council (WHC) is a non-profit, member-driven organization. We partner with corporations, their employees, fellow conservation organizations, government agencies and communities to recognize and encourage wildlife habitat projects for conservation and education. WHC is committed to maintaining a positive workplace, where base salary is enriched by flexible working hours, the ability to work remotely, professional development opportunities, and a generous benefits package.
The Manager, Conservation Planning is a member of the Conservation Strategy and Planning team, the services arm of WHC. This position reports to the Senior Manager, Conservation Strategy and works closely with the Senior Director, a member of the WHC leadership team.
The Manager, Conservation Planning develops and engages a network of stakeholders to collaborate with WHC to create conservation and STEM programs on corporate lands benefiting communities in Michigan and Ontario. In doing so, the Manager, Conservation Planning develops strategies and tactics to increase corporate participation in community engagement. This position requires a confident, professional personality who is at ease engaging with both corporate executives and community members.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage relationships with WHC members
- Manage projects, grants, and consulting initiatives with responsibilities for achieving goals, following timelines, and meeting budgets
- Provide conservation and education guidance and technical support
- Plan and lead a variety of events, including but not limited to workshops, roundtables, networking, webinars
- Lead advisory committees, consisting of corporate, government and community members
- Develop and implement scopes of work, plans, engagement strategies, and other similar approaches
- Keep abreast of, and utilize, trends in sustainability, conservation, community engagement and education to strengthen outcomes with WHC members
- Attend and participate in external meetings, committees and groups as a WHC representative
- Identify new opportunities for recruitment, retention, and strategic program development
- Undergraduate degree
- 3-5 years of experience with stewardship activities coordination, community engagement, environmental consulting, conservation planning or land management
- Passion for wildlife, habitats and natural sciences
- Working knowledge of conservation practices and STEM education
- Comfortable working in a corporate environment
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including public speaking
- Successful experience working independently and virtually/remotely, be a self-starter and have an entrepreneurial attitude
- Ability to engage with and adapt to different audiences easily
- Technology skills including MS Office and ArcGIS; Familiarity with Dynamics CRM is a plus
- Maintain a valid driver’s license
Regular domestic and occasional international travel is to be expected. This position may include travel up to three times per month; trips can be a single day or multiple days.
This position includes some light physical work. The employee should be able to lift up to 20 lbs. and can expect frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 10 lbs. The employee may also be standing, sitting, or walking for prolong period s of time, and can expect frequent bending, typing, and kneeling, and will complete frequent visual inspections. The employee is occasionally climbing, crouching, crawling, or stooping.
The employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions including the extreme cold (temperatures below 32°F for more than one hour). The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme noise sufficient to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level. The employee might be subject to hazards including moving mechanical parts, electrical current, working on scaffolding in high places, exposure to extreme heat, chemicals, oils, solvents, asbestos, or radiation. Safety briefing and/or training will be provided in such cases.
please submit a resume, a cover letter and an indication of salary expectation to email@example.com.Apply