Project Coordinator Spore Monitoring Program
MSU Plant, Soil, and Microbial Science
Employment type: Seasonal
Job Location: East Lansing, MI
Application Deadline: April 14, 2017
Project Coordinator Needed for Downy Mildew Spore Monitoring Program
The Hausbeck Vegetable Pathology Lab is looking for a responsible Project Coordinator who will run, administer and organize field/lab research project activities in cooperation with and under the direction of Senior Lab Personnel. Specifically, our ideal candidate is in his/her junior year or above (including recent graduates) with experience managing others to complete research projects and will bring this expertise to lead our downy mildew spore trapping program. Salary will be commensurate with experience and the candidate will be expected to work 30-40 hrs per week as dictated by the project.
Downy mildew is a significant yearly challenge for cucurbit growers in Michigan. Caused by the pathogen Pseudoperonospora cubensis, downy mildew spreads rapidly via wind-blown sporangia (spores of the pathogen). Knowing when the pathogen spores are present in a specific county is critical to disease management for growers in that county. By monitoring spore counts throughout the growing season, we can help growers protect their crops by alerting them to increases in inoculum PRIOR to a disease outbreak.
* Assist in and oversee field and laboratory activities related to downy mildew spore trapping and monitoring project.
* Coordinate activities of undergraduate research assistants as relates to the project, including scheduling assistants to retrieve/set up spore traps throughout the state, as well as processing spore traps and samples.
* Ensure website is kept up to date and that spore samples are processed in a timely and efficient manner.
* Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation, plans and reports
* Training will be provided.
* Previous project management experience or experience managing other employees
* No previous field research required but would be considered a plus
* Previous experience in cooperating with others for the delivery of projects
* Excellent communication and organizational skills including attention to detail and multitasking skills
* Ability to troubleshoot and seek guidance when needed.
To apply: submit resume and cover letter to Beth Brisco-McCann at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 14, 2017