Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Application Deadline: July 15, 2019
This position is responsible for providing preventative care and daily grounds and maintenance services at a private residence in Ann Arbor, MI. This includes oversight of outside vendors and contractors hired to perform specific tasks relating to maintenance when necessary.
- Conduct regular maintenance inspections throughout residence. Perform minor repairs and arrange for major repairs with appropriate contractor(s) when necessary. Solicit competitive bids for projects as required; monitor all work provided by contractors.
- Develop an intimate working knowledge of, and maintain, all household systems (heating and cooling, humidifier and dehumidifiers, interior and exterior lighting, electrical, security, appliances, recreational equipment, exercise equipment, emergency generators, plumbing, water softeners, and sump pump) to ensure optimal efficiency and operation. Conduct maintenance, or arrange for maintenance when necessary, related to all systems.
- Work with outside vendors and RDV Corporation staff as appropriate and needed for items such as wireless, information technology, audio/visual, and lighting needs and programming.
- Maintain cleanliness and operation of fireplaces; keep wood bins stocked.
- Coordinate exterminator service and treatments on a regular schedule.
- Arrange for trash removal and put trash out for collection on scheduled days; maintain cleanliness and orderliness of trash receptacles; wash receptacles as needed.
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of garages, attics, and outdoor storage areas. Regularly wash garage floor and paint floors/walls as required.
- Conduct regular checks throughout premises to ensure all light bulbs are in working order and replace bulbs as necessary; ensure adequate stock of miscellaneous supplies, i.e. batteries, light bulbs, products/equipment, filters, tools, etc.
- Regularly check house exterior (under eaves, dryer vent screen, exterior windows, etc.); clean as necessary.
- Inspect painted surfaces, wood, stucco, stone, and grout conditions of exterior of residence; clean gutters as needed.
- Ensure doors are well-oiled to avoid squeaking.
- Sweep and clean patios, decks, porches, and entryways regularly.
- Assist other household staff as needed on a priority basis, i.e. moving furniture, lifting heavy objects, etc.
- Conduct regular inspections throughout grounds. Perform minor repairs and arrange for major repairs with appropriate contractor(s) when necessary.
- Maintain outdoor mechanical equipment, i.e. lighting, gates, eaves, troughs, flag poles, etc.; clean outdoor light fixtures regularly.
- Oversee mowing and edging of lawns. Consult with landscaping contractor of appropriate sprays and fertilizers and pests control for grounds; schedule applications as needed.
- Oversee services of landscaping contractors; ensure flower beds are consistently weeded and free of dead vegetation; pick up debris.
- Arrange for planting of annual flowers; oversee cleaning out beds in fall; oversee weeding of gardens as needed between routine maintenance visits.
- Ensure operational readiness of sprinkler system; inspect for leaks and malfunctions of equipment; coordinate repair with sprinkling system contractor as needed.
- Arrange for re-seeding/re-sodding bare spots in lawns every spring; monitor state of lawns throughout summer; adjust sprinkler system accordingly.
- Consult with tree service contractor and schedule feeding, trimming, and removal of trees.
- Oversee arrangements for snow removal service; supervise clearing walkways of snow leading to residence and ensure walkways are maintained in a safe condition at all times; assist as needed.
- Ensure cleanliness and operational readiness of outdoor grill and propane fuel tanks.
- Ensure recreational equipment is ready for use - bike tires pumped, bikes in working order, balls pumped, batteries charged, and broken toys repaired or disposed of if repair is not possible or is unsafe.
- Store off-season outdoor furniture and recreational equipment; ensure furniture and equipment are maintained in optimal condition.
- Inspect driveway at least once a year; arrange for repairs and preventative maintenance with contractor(s). Ensure dead or fallen tree limbs are properly removed from driveway.
- Oversee and be responsible for care, maintenance, and operational readiness of power tools and other equipment.
- Ensure safe and proper use of tools and equipment including compliance with established personal protective equipment requirements.
- Assist with grounds preparation and support of special events that take place at the residence; may include other special duties assigned by Heads of Household.
- Maintain cleanliness of interiors and exteriors of automobiles, fuel levels, and repair and maintenance requirements.
- Arrange for professional detailing of all vehicles as needed.
- Ensure proper paperwork is in each vehicle; i.e. registration, insurance, documentation, etc.
- Maintain service records for all vehicles; arrange service as necessary.
- Ensure each vehicle is stocked with standard items; i.e. umbrellas, tissues, etc.
- Responsible to provide hands-on grounds and maintenance care and services whenever possible, but also with making decisions when the appropriate outside contractors, vendors, and services are needed.
- Collaborate closely and effectively with Household Coordinator and other household staff. Maintain a positive working relationship with family members and all staff.
- Coordinate/schedule/monitor the following services: exterminator, trash removal, lawn and landscape maintenance, sprinkling system, tree service, snow removal, heating/cooling systems, appliance repair, plumbing repair, electrical repair, carpet cleaning, window washing, and water treatment systems.
- Maintain accurate contact list for outside vendors and contractors for the property.
- Work with contractors to help develop and learn mechanical and electronic systems.
- Maintain accurate record of maintenance items; keep a well-documented record of routine maintenance.
- Pick-up/drop-off people or cars at airport locations.
- Transport and stage bicycles at various locations as needed.
- Assist with holiday decorating, i.e. Christmas lighting, and special event requirements, table set up/tear down, etc.
- Must be proactive in ensuring Heads of Household are made aware of important grounds and household maintenance issues.
- Perform special projects at request of Heads of Household; run errands as necessary.
Elements of Success
- Must be a responsible, dedicated, dependable, and self-directed person of highest integrity; organized and reliable; positive in attitude; and one who demonstrates pride in service which he/she provides.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Attention to detail, organization, and follow-through in daily routine is essential.
- Ability to see the big picture, anticipate needs, and initiate projects accordingly.
- Good judgment and decision-making skills.
- Strong multi-tasking and organizational skills.
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively with all levels of management and staff.
- Valid driver's license required.
- Responsibilities are conducted in the family home. The right candidate must genuinely be committed to be part of a team whose shared goal is to provide exemplary service and to positively contribute to a healthy, active, and loving home environment.
- The family's privacy is of critical importance; therefore, the highest level of confidentiality in the family's business and personal matters must be exercised at all times.
- Maintenance, grounds, and landscaping experience required.
- Vendor/contractor coordination experience required.
- Leadership experience preferred.
- Knowledgeable regarding proper care and maintenance of lawn, trees, shrubs, etc.
- Knowledgeable regarding mechanicals, such as underground sprinkling systems and heating/cooling systems.
- General knowledge and basic skill level in certain trades, such as mechanicals, HVAC, plumbing, appliance repair, building/carpentry, painting, etc.
Essential Physical Demands
- Ability to lift fifty (50) pounds; occasional lifting up to eighty (80) pounds.
- Ability to stoop, bend, kneel, climb, and remain standing on feet for lengthy periods of time.
- Ability to safely operate power machinery and tools.
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.