University of California Riverside (UCR)
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Riverside, CA
Application Deadline: August 30, 2021
The UCR avocado rootstock breeding program is recruiting a highly motivated scientist to work on different research projects recently funded by USDA and different industry partners. The UCR breeding program is a very active and recognized avocado breeding program worldwide. The goal of the program is to develop and release the next-generation of avocado rootstocks resistant to biotic (i.e. Phytophthora cinnamomi) and/or abiotic stresses (i.e. salinity, drought) using traditional breeding complemented with genomic-assisted breeding approaches.
The successful candidate will conduct mainly greenhouse and field work. The candidate will work under the supervision of senior personnel and will work in collaboration with several members from the Manosalva Laboratory as well as collaborators from other institutions. The duties for this position are described below:
- Maintenance and cultural care of avocado liners, seedlings, and trees at the greenhouse and fields at UCR (Riverside), South Coast Extension and Research Center (Irvine), and other off campus cooperator sites on public and private land (Northern and Southern California).
- Assist in the establishment of new rootstock trials and collect field data quarterly from all rootstock trials (Southern and Northern California). The data collection will be conducted in collaboration with other lab
- Conduct a field experiment aiming to test the efficacy of essential oils on controlling plant diseases in avocado growing at organic certified orchards in
- Conduct the statistical analyses of the field data. This task will be performed under the supervision of senior
- Assist lab members in all the activities related to the screening of avocado for resistance to pathogens and other stressors under laboratory and greenhouse
Minimum qualifications and requirements for this position.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or master degree in Biology, Soil and Crop Science, Plant Protection, Plant Pathology, Microbiology, Agronomy, Plant Breeding, or related
- Statistical analysis
- Highly organized person that works independently and in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment.
- Possession of valid driver’s
- This position requires travel outside of normal business hours and overnight travels (1-day to up to one-week trips) to different parts in California (Northern, Central Valley, and Southern). Note that all travel related expenses will be covered by the
- Work outdoor in warm weather especially during hot summer months for data collection at the rootstock field
- Ability to carry up to 50
- Experience working with tree
- Experience conducting greenhouse and field
- Ability to drive Gator utility
- Knowledge of using weather stations, GPS and satellite information, as well as sensor agriculture equipment and
UCR is a world-class research university with an exceptionally diverse undergraduate student body. Its mission is explicitly linked to providing routes to educational success for underrepresented and first-generation college students. A commitment to this mission is a preferred qualification.
How to Apply/Contact.
The position is immediately available. Screening will start on July 31st and will continue until the position is filled. Salary will be competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The position is renewable for up to 4 years depending upon performance. Candidates should apply directly to Dr. Patricia Manosalva by submitting a single PDF file containing: cover letter and curriculum vitae (CV) indicating how you meet the minimum qualifications, skills, and listing the contact information of three references to email@example.com. The subject of the email should be “Research Assistant Position”
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.