Seasonal Horticulturists- two openings
Ruth Mott Foundation - Applewood Estate
Employment type: Seasonal
Job Location: Flint, MI
Application Deadline: February 26, 2021
The Ruth Mott Foundation is accepting applications for a Seasonal Horticulturist within the Horticulture Department located at Applewood Estate in Flint, Michigan. Once home to Charles Stewart Mott and his family, Applewood Estate dates back to 1916. The estate is now owned and operated by the Ruth Mott Foundation and consists of award-winning gardens, historic buildings, and collections of art, artifacts, archives and photographs.
Job Posting: Seasonal Horticulturist
Starting Salary Range: $11.10 to $11.55 per hour
Job Purpose: To assist the Ruth Mott Foundation's professional horticulture staff maintain Applewood’s living collections including its gardens, lawns and natural areas as well as delivery of public programs. This position will work up to 40 hours per week from spring through fall, not to exceed 1,000 hours per year.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assists with preparation, planting, harvesting and maintenance of annuals and perennials, lawns and woody plants, including watering, mulching, pruning and pesticide application as directed by staff.
• Push mows, weed whips and cleans up walks, drives and stairs within the fence.
• Assists with programs for the public including guided tours, set-up, tear down, and interaction with guests.
• Completes other duties as assigned.
• Ability to properly use grounds hand tools and mechanized equipment.
• Passion for working outside and 2 years of experience maintaining a landscape.
• Must be able to obtain Michigan Commercial Pesticide Applicator's license with Ornamentals certification within 30 days after hiring.
• Detail-oriented with excellent time management skills.
• Ability to work collaboratively with individuals from all sectors of the community and a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
• Ability to work occasional evening and/or weekend hours.
• College degree in Horticulture, Floriculture, Botany, Landscape Design, or Environmental Science desirable but not required.
Essential Physical and Work Environment Demands:
Ability to walk up and down stairs; bend, stoop, kneel, walk and stand for long periods of time; to pull/push, lift and carry up to 55 pounds on a regular basis; and to reach both above and below shoulder height. The nature of the work requires the ability to work in both indoor and outdoor environments in varying temperatures and weather conditions. Ability to use loud and physically demanding hand tools/machinery (protective gear is provided).
Ruth Mott Foundation recruits team members that are as economically, culturally and ethnically diverse as the community we serve. We are committed to diversity and inclusion in all its forms, including but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, protected genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Email cover letter and resume to Resumes@ruthmott.org
To view Greetings Letter please click here