Seasonal Gardener Positions
Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park
Employment type: Seasonal
Job Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Application Deadline: March 1, 2019
JOB POSTING – Seasonal Gardener Summer 2019
Under direction of the horticulture staff, the seasonal gardener will work with a team of volunteers and staff to maintain display gardens, greenhouses, conservatories, irrigation and turf at Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park. This position begins in April and continues through the end of August.
- Work with permanent horticulture staff to coordinate and carry out daily tasks.• Assist with maintenance of plants in greenhouses, conservatories, and specialty gardens including but not limited to: watering, pruning, mulching, fertilizing, propagating, and weeding.
- Assist with the changing of seasonal exhibits, displays and container plantings.
- Ability to operate utility vehicles, power equipment and machinery.
- Supervise, train, and lead volunteers
- Work a rotation of weekends and holidays
- Assist guests
- Ability to carry out daily duties with limited supervision
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Embrace and adhere to Meijer Gardens’ mission, brand statement, operating model, policies, procedures, and guiding principles with a strong emphasis on professional behavior and the treatment of others with dignity and respect
- Embrace the fact we are a non-profit institution that serves the public and that you will work with a broad and diverse group of associates, volunteers, members, and guests
- Exhibit strong moral and ethical values
Education and/or qualifications preferred:
- Education: Current enrollment in a college or university studying horticulture, forestry, landscape architecture, landscape management, restoration ecology or related subject preferred
- Experience: One or more years of experience in landscape maintenance with horticultural knowledge
- Skills/Knowledge/Licenses: Must possess a valid driver’s license
Ability to work in varying weather and temperature conditions both indoors and outdoors, Ability to lift/move up to 10 pounds regularly, frequently up to 50 pounds, and occasionally up to 100 pounds. (i.e., load, unload and move gardening supplies, medium to heavy weight tools and equipment)