Seasonal Worker – Green Corps Learning Farm Associate
Holden Forests and Gardens
Employment type: Full-Time, Seasonal
Job Location: Cleveland, OH
Application Deadline: May 31, 2017
Seasonal Worker – Green Corps Learning Farm Associate (garden 2017)
Position Title: Seasonal
Department: CBG Green Corps (618545)
Holden Forests and Gardens (Holden Arboretum & Cleveland Botanical Garden) has two-(2) seasonal positions available in the Green Corps program at the Cleveland Botanical Garden campus. Green Corps is a seasonal work-study program for high school students in Cleveland. Students work as a team to maintain Learning Farms, sell produce to neighbors and at markets, and participate in environmental events. Throughout the season, students follow a curriculum based on life and work skills, agriculture, community and environmental stewardship, and sustainability.
This seasonal full-time position requires a high-energy, flexible individual who will be an integral member of the Green Corps team. This person will assist with the day-to-day operation of the smaller Cleveland Botanical Garden Learning Farms (Fairfax and Slavic Village), including planting, maintenance and harvesting, and the overall education and management of student employees.
- Reports to the Seasonal Worker – Green Corps Learning Farm Manager
- Works with Green Corps - Manager of Operations
- Works with Students
- Works with Volunteers
- Cleveland Botanical Garden – one of 5 urban learning farms on the east side of Cleveland, Ohio, USA
- Located in the heart of Cleveland’s cultural, health, and education district, 10 minutes east of downtown Cleveland.
- Holden Forests and Gardens is 12th largest public garden in the U.S. It is comprised of two campuses, Cleveland Botanical Garden and Holden Arboretum.
- Under the direction of the Farm Managers, assist with daily field operations, supervising student activities and leading the youth crew in the performance of general farm maintenance tasks including, but not limited to, planting; pruning; watering; weeding; mulching; fertilizing.
- Work with Farm Managers to build and maintain positive relationships with each Green Corps student.
- Build and maintain a healthy, safe, and supportive work and learning environment within the Green Corps Learning Farm.
- Communicate positively and effectively with students’ parents and Learning Farm neighbors and community members.
- Lead volunteer groups, tours, and community programming in the Learning Farm.
- Assist with managing booth at Farmers Markets and training students on proper market procedures
- Assist with planning and carrying out Learning Farm Open House and special events
- Provide feedback to improve and grow Green Corps.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must have High School Diploma/GED and be at least l8 years old
- Obtainment or work toward an Associate or Bachelor degree in biology, agriculture, education or a related area and/or relevant experience or background required
- Previous work as a Green Corps Student Employee preferred but not necessary
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds, as well as excellent communications skills in a positive, team-player environment is essential
- Extensive staff training provided on teaching skills and gardening/agriculture.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and work outdoors in extreme weather conditions.
- Sitting, standing, kneeling and bending on uneven work surfaces.
- Must pass a criminal background check / drug test.
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required to be covered on Holden Forests & Garden’s vehicle insurance policy
- May through October
- Flexible start date in May; flexible hours in the Fall
- Approximately 40 hours per week
Wages: $9.25 per hour
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume online: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=15510471
Posting Date: January
Closing Date: Until Filled
This position will be employed through a staffing agency service.
Holden Forests and Gardens (Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.