J. Berry Nursery
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Grand Saline, Texas
Application Deadline: September 30, 2021
J Berry Nursery is a family-owned wholesale nursery business focused on bringing innovation to the market, providing a superior value to the consumer via best of class genetics, quality production, and stand-out packaging. Our New Genetics Division brings products to market that are produced by J Berry Nursery and licensed to other companies, both domestically and internationally. The company is uniquely positioned as a breeder and production nursery which provides numerous advantages when bringing newly developed products to market.
We ship our products to over 2000 retail outlets covering more than half of the US from our primary production facility in Grand Saline, Texas which is conveniently located 70 miles East of downtown Dallas. We have a second facility in Tyler, Texas, and a network of contract growers in Florida, Alabama, and Texas.
We are seeking someone who has the desire to be part of a contemporary, collaborative, and inventive team committed to the highest standards of quality and service.
The Section Grower reports directly to the Head Grower and works closely with the Production Manager and General Manager. This position oversees Cultural workers, Pesticide Applicators, and Irrigation Technicians. During peak season, the Section Grower will directly supervise 20-25 associates. Plant cultural responsibility begins at potting and extends through harvest.
- Direct and supervise the cultural team to meet production timelines and sale forecast targets.
- Adapt all activities to support the established companywide KPI’s.
- Monitor growing areas and crops daily and supervise all activities within their section.
- Ensure that accepted IPM procedures are being maintained.
- Supervise all pesticide applications within assigned section; apply pesticides, chemicals and biologicals as required for maintaining crop health.
- Monitor and adjust nutritional programs after testing and consultation with the Head Grower.
- Maintain pruning procedures and schedules.
- Ensure timely spacing of plants.
- Monitor and adjust irrigation applications daily with irrigation technicians.
- Manage and plan space allocation for new plants scheduled from production.
- Assist Head Grower to schedule and implement all post and preemergent herbicide applications.
- Assist in the implementation of IPM Program.
- Assist research and development department with production profiling and optimization.
- Train assistants in your section as necessary to perform efficiently and effectively, and to company standards.
- Prepare daily task plans for all section associates.
- Provide timely labor, cultural, and inventory adjustment data; maintain growing records that include specifics about plant growth, fertilization, pest problems and any treatment.
- Communicate frequently with Head Grower about priorities, solving problems, and any other issues.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
- Row-run quality.
- Continuous improvement and optimization of production processes and timelines, by variety.
- Lowest cost of production.
- Efficient use of labor, equipment, and production resources.
- A degree in Horticulture or significant related industry experience is necessary for consideration.
- Experience across multiple plant categories including woody ornamentals, perennials, roses, and tropical flowering is beneficial.
- High level of organizational skills with specific ability to prioritize activities, manage workflow and optimize labor and equipment utilization.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency with Excel and Microsoft Office Applications.
- Bilingual English/Spanish speaking is a plus.
$40,000.00 - $60,000.00 (Yearly Salary)