Section Grower 1- multiple openings
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Roguemont, NC
Application Deadline: February 28, 2022
Immediate opening for a greenhouse Section Grower.
What a Section Grower 1 does at Hoffman Nursery (Duties and Responsibilities):
- Manage all irrigation and growing operations of liners grown in a designated section of greenhouses.
- Assist in implementation of IPM Program.
- Practice sanitation protocols, cultural protocols, and general growing protocols, and provide recommendations for pesticide and biological use.
- Wear full-face respirator and apply pesticides, chemicals and biologicals as required for maintaining crop health.
- Acquire and maintain a valid North Carolina Pesticide License.
- Monitor houses for water management, cultural issues, weeds, fertilization, organization, insect and disease issues, sanitation, and overall plant growth, health, and appearance within assigned section.
- Assist with and oversee minor greenhouse repairs and winterizing of greenhouse structures.
- Manage and plan space allocation for new plants scheduled from production.
- Work closely with production staff for successful transition of new plants/production into houses.
- Study new equipment, technologies, processes, and ideas to reduce waste and improve efficiency.
- Train assistants in your section as necessary to perform efficiently and effectively, and to company standards.
- Ensure quality plants are organized and ready to ship.
- Maintain growing records that include specifics about plant growth, EC readings, fertilization, pest problems and any treatment.
- Communicate frequently with Head Grower about priorities, solving problems, and any other issues.
- Be in alignment with Hoffman Nursery’s core values.
- Attend work regularly and reliably.
- Perform other duties as requested or assigned.
What we need and expect from you (Required Qualifications):
- Degree in horticulture or related field
- 1-3 years nursery experience preferred
- Ability to perform consistent, accurate work
- Demonstrated initiative and self-direction
- Demonstrated team and collaboration skills
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently as as part of a team
- Strong attention to detail and safety
- Ability to work outdoors in varying weather conditions
- Ability to lift and carry up to 40 lbs.
- Alignment with Hoffman Nursery core values
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Regularly stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
- Regularly use hands and fingers to handle or feel.
- Regularly talk and hear.
- Occasionally sit, climb, or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to ten (40) pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus, with or without corrective lenses.
- May be exposed to extremely hot or cold weather while working.
- Indoors in greenhouses, head house, outdoors. Some work in office space.
This is a full-time hourly position averaging 42-45 hours per week. Some weekend work required.
Hoffman Nursery is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all employment is At Will. Hoffman Nursery, Inc. participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S., once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.Apply