Senior Greenhouse/Nursery Technician
Montgomery County Parks
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Montgomery County, MD
Application Deadline: April 19, 2019
The Plant Production Section of Montgomery Parks is seeking an individual to be part of Pope Farm's Greenhouse and Nursery operations. This position, under the Division of Horticulture, Forestry and Environmental Education, will be located in Gaithersburg, MD. Under direction, this position will perform skilled and advanced horticultural work to produce trees, shrubs and herbaceous plant material through all stages of growing to a finished product to support our planting efforts within all 420 Parks. This expert level position involves the use of various types of equipment, performing varying assignments related to nursery operations, plant production, directing and training other workers in growing operations and performing designated administrative duties as assigned.
We foster an environment of team work and respect with an ongoing dedication to innovation, improvement of performance and a high level of commitment to our production operations. We seek an energetic person with initiative to provide leadership and outstanding work ethic.
Examples of Important Duties
- Independently applies horticulture knowledge to grow and maintain woody and herbaceous plant material in the container and in-ground production areas; assists in coordinating production schedules and various tasks related to the work programs
- Assists in maintaining an inventory database and tracking system for all plant material
- Implements proper practices for the production of various plants including but not limited to: planting, transplanting, monitoring irrigation systems, herbicide applications, pruning, fertilization, field/soil preparation
- Operates power hand tools, mowers, tractors and skid steers with various attachments, front end loaders, trucks, utility vehicles
- Practice IPM principles for plant health care by utilizing alternative treatment methods and/or incorporating pesticides as appropriate in a safe and effective manner according to regulations
- Keep accurate records of pesticide applications and follow posting requirements and the use of PPE as set forth by the Maryland Department of Agriculture.
- Maintains greenhouse space and overwintering structure(s) to help support the proper conditions for optimal plant growth by monitoring temperature, light and other affecting factors
- Participates in training other Park staff Divisions on Horticultural practices and takes part in Park sponsored events such as Arbor Day to promote education and advocacy for the field of Horticulture
- Oversee seasonal staff and/or volunteers which includes training, assigning tasks, monitoring progress and maintaining records for their hours
- Takes a lead role in coordinating and performing the grounds/landscape maintenance of Pope Farm which includes but not limited too, mowing, weed control, mulching, pruning, gravel road maintenance, erosion control, fence maintenance, monitoring facility infrastructure for any needed service
- Associate of Arts degree in horticulture or related area and one year of progressive greenhouse, nursery experience in horticultural support work, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid driver's license in accordance with both State and Commission rules and regulations. Driver's licenses must be unencumbered by restrictions, revocations, suspensions, or points that could limit the employee's ability to drive Commission vehicles or perform driving duties required of their position.
- Maryland Department of Agriculture pesticide applicator's within six months of appointment.
- Pass Commission medical examination
- Additionally, contingent upon area of assignment, some positions in this class may require Commercial Driver's License with appropriate endorsement upon appointment, or within 6 months.
Please click the "Apply" button below.Apply