Statewide Arbor Day and Environmental Outreach Coordinator
Eaton Conservation District
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Charlotte, MI
Application Deadline: October 16, 2018
Michigan Arbor Day Alliance (25 hours a week) www.miarbordayalliance.org. This position is dedicated to the promotion and celebration of Arbor Day throughout Michigan. This will be achieved through outreach and education projects. These projects will include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate State Arbor Day celebration in Lansing, MI.
- Promote and manage the 5th Grade Arbor Day Poster Contest.
- Coordinate and manage the Michigan Arbor Day Alliance Tree Planting Grants, a statewide grant program.
- Partner with municipalities, corporations, and organizations to encourage tree plantings, proper tree maintenance and management. Distribute Arbor Day educational materials to schools, communities, and individuals.
- Publicize Arbor Day and program activities through events, media outlets and enewsletters.
- Seek sponsorships and fundraise for Arbor Day activities.
- Update and maintain Arbor Day website, Facebook, Twitter and blog.
- Coordinate and work with Michigan Arbor Day Alliance steering committee.
- Prepare grant and annual reports demonstrating program accomplishments.
Michigan Water Stewardship Program website coordinator (15 hours a week) www.miwaterstewardship.org
- Responsible for updating and approving articles/event announcements/etc. for Michigan Green News, lesson plans, local resources, videos.
- Promote website to partners and education organizations through correspondence, direct contacts, media outreach, and presentations.
- Increase website traffic by promoting through the District Facebook, MADA blog posts, and Pinterest account.
- Report any problems or issues with website to server host. Respond to user questions, issues or technical problems. Respond to partner questions, issues, technical problems and requests for contact information updated or changed.
- Process quarterly reports for MDARD demonstrating promotional efforts.
- Assist with office and other Conservation District programs, including: Annual Meeting, newsletters, walk-in customers, answering telephones, general office upkeep, district tree sale, workshops, public events, and anything else not specifically listed yet deemed appropriate for District or office work.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, environmental science, environmental education, or a related field plus 1-year experience (or a combination of education and experience). Knowledge and experience in arboriculture or urban forestry a plus. A passion for environmental education is highly desired for this position.
- Ability to effectively coordinate and manage events and multiple projects.
- Experience with updating websites, and promoting programs through blogs and social media tools.
- Excellent speaking, writing, presentation, fundraising, and public relations skills.
- Ability to work independently, establish work priorities, and manage time effectively.
- Proficiency in the use of MS Word and Excel, and ability to learn new computer applications.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable personal transportation.
- Must be able to pass a Federal Background Security Check.
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with individuals, groups, businesses, and units of government.
- Ability to travel to overnight conferences and work some nights and weekends.
Salary and Position Details
This is a full-time grant based position paying between $13 and $15 per hour, depending on experience. Benefits include paid annual, sick and holiday time. Employee is eligible for health insurance and IRA retirement savings plan or an annual bonus through the District. Annual grants and fundraising are sought and renewed each year. Anticipated start date will be approximately November 1, 2018 and is dependent on interview process. The individual will be employed by the Eaton Conservation District, located in Charlotte, MI. The Coordinator will report to Sue Spagnuolo, Executive Director of the Eaton Conservation District and will work closely with the Michigan Arbor Day Alliance steering committee.
Send a resume, cover letter, and names and contact information for three references to Sue Spagnuolo, Executive Director, Eaton Conservation District, 551 Courthouse Drive, Ste 3 Charlotte MI 48813. Applications can also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The cover letter should address the applicant’s qualifications and ability to fulfill the duties of this job.
Applications are due by October 16, 2018
For questions, please contact Sue Spagnuolo at (517) 543-1512 x 5.