Student Position - Greenhouse
Plant Biology Conservatory and Teaching Collection
Employment type: Part-Time
Job Location: East Lansing - MSU Campus
Application Deadline: August 31, 2018
- Job Description:
Position opening July 30th. Hours are Monday and Wednesday 8 – 12 and rotating weekends Saturday and Sunday 8 – 12. Can be somewhat flexible. Schedule will continue through Fall Semester and will be reviewed thereafter.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Check watering carefully and thoroughly (39A, Conservatory, and Hort Farm). This is responsibility #1. If you are here and will not be watering, establish who WILL be.
- Pull weeds from pots
- Groom plants (remove dead leaves; plants should always look ‘show-ready’)
- Scout for pests/observe condition of plant
- Get to know plants individually and be cautious not to overwater
- Learn about dormancy and plants’ varying needs
- Conservatory – make sure it is swept and all water features are topped off.
- Check all hanging and potted materials carefully.
- Remove fallen debris from mulched areas and sweep
- Trash – all trashes must be emptied at least once a day
- Clean up after yourself, and finish what you start.
- Weekly and continuous tasks
- Shop-vac all benches and floors – all cement floors should be done weekly. Don’t forget cracks, corners, and behind retaining walls.
- After floors have been vacuumed, hose them down with well water (in Conservatory, follow with RO rinse for plants near walkway).
- Tidy work areas
- Teaching Greenhouse – check that it is clean and keep the pots moving through the sanitation bin.
- Pull any weeds on floor in all greenhouses
- Check clone machine for water levels and cuttings that are ready for the trash or a pot.
- Cut suckers and water sprouts in Conservatory
Additionally, there is the opportunity to study for and obtain a commercial pesticide applicator's certification once a trial period has been successfully completed. Materials and time to study will be provided and exam fees covered.
Interested persons should email Lisa Murphy at Murph640@msu.edu with a resume and brief letter explaining why they would be a good candidate for this position. For more information regarding this position, please click here.