Student Research Assistants
Plant, Soil, and Microbial Sciences Weed Science Lab
Employment type: Part-Time
Job Location: East Lansing, MI
Application Deadline: January 23, 2019
MSU Weed Science Lab Employment
We are hiring two undergraduate students as research assistants in the Weed Science Lab in Plant, Soil, and Microbial Sciences. The focus of our research is weed control, biology, and ecology. Students may begin working immediately, but you MUST be able to work Spring Semester 2019. There is opportunity to continue working with our lab in the summer and future years as well.
Our Current Research Projects:
- Interseeding Cover Crops in Corn: We are evaluating cover crop species, seeding rates, and effective herbicides for interseeding cover crops during the early corn vegetative growth stages.
- Dry Edible Bean Sensitivity to PGR Herbicides: We are currently analyzing the effects of off target movement from dicamba and 2,4-D on multiple classes of dry edible bean.
- Integrating Fall-Seeded Cereal Cover Crops for Horseweed Management in No-Tillage Soybean: We are evaluating the effects of cover crop species and termination timing in combination with herbicides to manage glyphosate-resistant marestail in no-till soybean.
Student Lab duties:
- Running germination tests on weed seeds
- Filling and planting pots in the greenhouse
- Processing field and greenhouse soil samples
- Grinding crop samples for analyzing
- Recording weights of plant samples
- Collecting biomass samples in the greenhouse
- Spraying herbicides for greenhouse trials
- Occasional assistance with harvest may be needed at the Field lab
The hours of this position will vary upon your class schedule, a maximum of 29 hours are allowed per week. Most student work 10-12 hours per week. You will be working with other students on a daily basis, so teamwork is key.
To apply please send your resumé AND your class schedule for fall/spring to Aaron Brooker (email@example.com), Scott Bales (firstname.lastname@example.org), or John Schramski (email@example.com). Tell us in your e-mail the hours you would like to work.