Summer 2022 Agriculture Internship
Lavender Hill Farm
Employment type: Internship
Job Location: Boyne City, MI
Application Deadline: February 15, 2021
2022 Summer Agriculture Internship at Lavender Hill Farm
Location: Boyne City, MI
Live music, lavender, distillation, retail, sunflowers, tours, events and more. Lavender Hill Farm (LHF) is an agritourism destination located in Northern Michigan. A unique small business work environment where interns will have the opportunity to learn alongside business owners and directors to create valuable work experiences. Our interns will engage in projects and daily operations that have a direct and sizable impact while surrounded by the scents and scenery of acres of lavender at our Certified Naturally Grown farm.
Lavender Hill Farm is looking for an energetic individual to assist with the agricultural side of our business. Master all stages of the lavender crop while experiencing how a small farm operates in the tourism world and prioritizing the enhancement of visitor experience through basic hospitality activity whenever representing the farm.
Work Hours and Days:
Our farm is open 7 days a week from 10am – 5pm starting mid-May through mid-October. Interns work 40-50 hours per week May through October and will be compensated on an hourly basis. This internship is generally structured to satisfy a 400-hour graduation requirement; however, if an internship is not needed, we are happy to set this up as a resume enhancing seasonal position. We are flexible and welcome unique inquiries but prefer availability into October. Housing is available.
LHF will hold “attendance-optional” meetings for the team to get acquainted. Meetings are generally held in Boyne City or East Lansing once a month. There may also be optional work opportunities at the farm to help with fall clean up, winter prep and spring cleaning for those based locally.
Tasks and job responsibilities will vary depending on the person, experience level and time of year. Some examples may include:
- Planting lavender, sunflowers and other plants
- Maintaining grounds, gardens, and plots
- Conceptual development and construction of new plots
- Harvesting and processing lavender
- Essential oil production through Steam distillation
- Assisting in landscaping projects
- Greenhouse and workstation upkeep
- Managing farm tools and implements
- Operating machinery such as golf carts, leaf blowers and lawn mowers
- Answering visitors’ questions
- Assisting in all departments to assure optimal farm operation
- Outside work rain or shine
- Knowledgeable about basic plant health and needs
- Must work well in both team and individual work environments
- Enjoys being outside and working with plants
- Motivated and positive
- Willing and able to lift and bend to meet the physical demands of the job
- Hard working with good decision-making skills
- Experience working in a garden, nursery, or farm is preferable.
Please send cover letter and resume to Jess at Service@lavenderhillfarm.com