Summer Arboretum Grounds Worker
Hillsdale College Slayton Arboretum
Employment type: Seasonal
Job Location: Hillsdale, MI
Application Deadline: July 22, 2019
Hours: M-F 7:30 - 11:30 am (20 hours per week)
Start Date: May 6th or later
End Date: August 30th or earlier
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Weeding and removal of invasive species, including digging up some larger plants and small shrubs.
- Spreading wood chips on trails and garden beds. Occasionally moving dirt.
- Water plants, both by hand with watering cans and buckets, and by setting up and taking down hoses and sprinklers.
- Trimming shrubs and trees along trails.
- Removing algae and plant debris from waterfall ponds and rocks. Includes raking ponds and scrubbing rocks.
- Picking up, hauling and stacking brush.
- Planting non-woody plants and shrubs.
- Deadheading flowers in garden areas.
- Assisting with day camp activities including help with program materials set up and clean up, passing out snacks, and taking kids to bathroom and washing up.
- Installing deer fencing.
- String trimming along pond and other areas where mower can’t reach.
- Occasional light repairs of structures and tools at arboretum.
- Occasional clean up in buildings including sweeping, mopping, doing dishes and cleaning counters and other storage areas.
- Some planting of gardens and planters.
- Punctuality and good communication with supervisors regarding schedule.
- Ability to be outside all day long, regardless of weather. Ability to dress appropriately for weather conditions.
- Ability to learn, understand and follow all safety procedures.
- Ability to tolerate getting dirty and coming into contact with weeds, mud, insects and occasionally other wildlife.
- Willingness to learn plant identification and care techniques. Good attention to detail and following instructions.
6. Ability and willingness to do physical work: lifting plant material and woody debris, carrying and hooking up hoses, using outdoor tools such as shovels, rakes, saws, pruners, trowels, pitchfork, hammer etc. Workers over 18 may be driving the utility vehicle.
Please send your resume to Laurie Rosenberg, firstname.lastname@example.org, or (517) 607-2241.