Summer Research Internship – W.K. Kellogg Biological Station.
W.K. Kellogg Experimental Forest
Employment type: Internship
Application Deadline: March 15, 2022
Kellogg Biological Station in collaboration with the Department of Forestry is pleased to offer a 2022 forestry internship opportunity at W.K. Kellogg Experimental Forest. The intern will obtain experience facilitating forestry related research and land management at Kellogg Forest and other MSU outlying properties including, but not limited to, Fred Russ Forest and MacCready Reserve.
Specific areas of focus typically include:
- Conduct and/or assist with inventory of standing timber, seedling regeneration, herbaceous flora, and invasive species
- Assist with timber sale set up and contract administration
- Research plot/plantation setup, maintenance, and data collection
- Assist with general maintenance of grounds/facilities and equipment as needed/directed
- Operate power tools (drills, chainsaws, etc.)
- Operate equipment (lawnmowers, skid steer, tractors)
- Interaction with public visitors in an outreach capacity
- Opportunity to lead assessment and development of unit management plan
- Opportunity to obtain hands on learning/knowledge related to prescribed fire
For more information about this opportunity please contact K.J. Kettler at Kettleri@msu.edu or 269-731-4597.