City of Detroit
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Detroit, MI
Application Deadline: December 16, 2016
Responsible for the oversight of the Office of Sustainability, which will include developing the City's near-term sustainability agenda, tracking progress, engaging external partners, and working with City departments to execute sustainability initiatives. Sustainability efforts in Detroit will focus on strengthening the economic, social and environmental well-being of Detroit's residents, neighborhoods, and businesses. The Sustainability Office should reflect the needs of Detroiters, deliver projects that make a visible difference in neighborhoods, and better position the City for a more sustainable future.
- Examples of Duties
- Creates and coordinates the implementation of the City's sustainability action agenda.
- Coordinates standing meeting of Directors and senior staff of relevant departments, including but not limited to Planning and Development, Detroit Water and Sewerage, Department of Neighborhoods, Housing and Revitalization, Public Works, General Services, and Public Health, to coordinate sustainability efforts.
- Works with departments to enhance the sustainability of current and future infrastructure investments in Detroit.
- Oversees staff and activities within the Office of Sustainability.
- Works with City departments to collect data and track progress on sustainability goals and initiatives.
- Works with external partners, including non-profits, residents, and businesses, to accelerate the pace and impact of sustainability efforts.
- Secures external funding and public-private partnerships to support priority sustainability initiatives.
- Communicates sustainability project status milestones to internal departments and external partners through traditional and social media.
- Advises the Mayor on sustainability issues and provide regular briefings to Mayor and Group Executives.
- Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Policy, Urban Planning, Environmental Studies, Architecture or a related field of study. Master's degree preferred.
At least five years of senior management experience in urban sustainability, city administration, management consulting, urban planning, engineering, natural resources or a related field.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be substituted to meet the education and experience requirements of this position.
- Supplemental Information
- Leading urban sustainability programs and approaches, spanning topics such as air quality, green infrastructure, energy, energy efficiency, housing, community engagement, climate change, equity, and inclusive economic growth.
- Social, economic, and environmental issues affecting Detroit, including environmental justice and public health.
- Infrastructure planning and financing methods.
- Strategic planning and project management, including goal setting, program and budget development, and implementation.
- Development and successful implementation of complex public policies or programs that span multiple departments.
- Quantitative and qualitative analysis and problem solving.
- Written and oral communication with a proven capacity to synthesize information in a clear, concise, and compelling manner.
- Effectively interact with internal and external stakeholders with tact and diplomacy.
- Work with diverse populations.
- Develop positive relationships with other departments and agencies and to facilitate collaborative planning processes.
- Collaborate as a partner with local nonprofit organizations, foundations, state government, and federal government.
- Effectively analyze and develop programs, policies, and initiatives.
- Manage multiple tasks, meet deadlines and organize information.
- Oversee staff and set office priorities and programming.