Urban & Community Forestry Contractor
National Association of State Foresters
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Washington D.C.
Application Deadline: September 10, 2018
Urban & Community Forestry Project Contractor
The National Association of State Foresters seeks an Urban & Community Forestry (U&CF) Contractor to provide staff support to the NASF U&CF Committee. This is an independent contractor position with no benefits subject to annual availability of grant funding. Requirements are demonstrated leadership, organization, communications, and meetings management skills; Bachelor’s Degree in forestry or related field; at least 5 years of experience in policy development, program administration, or project management; and excellent knowledge of urban and community forestry issues. Strong applicants will have proven ability to build effective partnerships and work with relevant agencies and coalitions. Please forward your resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, to “U&CF Position” at firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date is September 10, 2018 or until the position is filled, with an anticipated start date of October 1, 2018. No phone calls. NASF is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, or any other non-merit factor.
Committee Staff Contractor
Provide staff support to the NASF Urban and Community Forestry (UCF) Committee to manage committee business, communications, meetings, and projects. Develop partnerships and educational materials that support the NASF strategic plan and advance State Foresters’ interests in urban and community forestry. Complete work assignments and provide progress reports as directed by the Committee Chair and NASF Executive Director.
Develop subject matter expertise that informs policy, communications, and program efforts to advance committee issues. Issues include tree planting and maintenance, measurement and growth of tree canopy, pest detection and management, forest health and human health, climate change, clean air and water, green infrastructure, community efforts to reduce wildland fire threats, federal investment in urban and community forestry, and utilization of urban wood waste. Coordinate with the USDA Forest Service and other relevant agencies and organizations.
Contractor’s supervisors are the Chair of the NASF Urban and Community Forestry Committee and the NASF Executive Director.
Compensation plus approved travel and expense costs are specified in an annual Independent Contractor Agreement subject to the availability of federal grant funding. No benefits are provided.
- Provide staff support to the committee and work with the Committee Chair to plan and conduct committee meetings and conference calls. Meetings are typically held in:
- December – Washington, DC
- May/June – in a host state
- September – at the NASF annual meeting
- Prepare agendas, minutes and meeting materials for committee meetings and conference calls and distribute to Committee Chair, committee members, NASF Executive Director and the NASF Policy and Communications Directors. Distribute agendas at least two weeks in advance and distribute minutes within two weeks following each meeting or conference call. Provide final copies of all agendas, minutes and meeting materials to the NASF Executive Director.
- Work with Committee Chair to develop an annual committee Work Plan, (December), committee progress reports to the Executive Committee (December, February, May, September), and annual committee accomplishments report (July). Provide the NASF Executive Director with copies of all documents and assist the Chair in delivering reports at NASF Executive Committee meetings and at the NASF Annual Meeting.
- Develop online content and briefing papers, reports, letters, publications, and educational materials. Submit draft copies of all content and documents intended for external audiences to the Committee Chair, Executive Director, Communications Director, and Policy Director for review and approval prior to publication.
- Submit travel expense reports and comply with NASF expense reimbursement guidelines and approved budgets provided by Director of Finance and Administration.
- Maintain official committee records: provide meeting agendas, minutes, and committee Work Plans to the Administrative Assistant to save in electronic files.
Communications and Policy
- Maintain weekly contact with the Committee Chair.
- Include the Committee Chair and Executive Director on all committee-related communications.
- Facilitate internal communications with members, staff, and UCF coordinator liaisons.
- Coordinate all policy and external communications activities with the Policy and Communications Directors, obtaining approval prior to external messaging.
- Provide a quarterly written report to the Committee Chair, Executive Director, and Director of Finance and Administration documenting work time, tasks, accomplishments, and upcoming assignments, meetings, and travel.
- Submit a written committee Work Plan progress report to the Executive Director prior to each Executive Committee meeting.
- Provide monthly member updates to the Executive Director.
- Participate in the monthly NASF All Staff conference call.
- Work with the Communications Director to develop and promote My Tree—Our Forest® educational materials and products.
Partners and Federal Agencies
- Ensure NASF representation in national coalitions, partner meetings, and policy forums:National Urban and Community Forestry Advisory Council
- Sustainable Urban Forestry Coalition
- Partners in Community Forestry Conference
- Build partnerships and maintain frequent contact with federal agencies and organizations that have urban and community forestry interests and programs.
- Closely coordinate with and support the USDA Forest Service State & Private Forestry and Urban & Community Forestry program areas
- Develop new contacts and partnerships with other federal agencies such as EPA and the Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Maintain and enhance existing partnerships with non-profit organizations
Please click the apply button below or click the following link: https://www.stateforesters.org/job-board/nasf-jobs/urban-community-forestry-project-contractor.Apply