Urban Farm Manager
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Muskegon, MI
Application Deadline: February 15, 2021
This is a unique farm management full-time position responsible for the operation of our two urban farm sites (1.25 acres) located in the heart of Muskegon. The Farm Manager will be responsible for the operations of McLaughlin Grows Urban Farm, including sales and supervision/coordination staff and volunteers. This position requires dedication and skill in intensive growing techniques, interacting with people from many different backgrounds, personal and professional maturity, creativity, and commitment to the vision and mission of Community enCompass. This is a full-time, year-around positions, with flexible scheduling.
- Plan and implement crop rotation and planting schedule in green house, hoop house, and open fields to support a weekly farmers market and on-site farm stand; 50+ share CSA program; Produce-to-Patients program; and education activities.
- Develop and execute a pest management and disease control plan.
- Direct the day-to-day operation of the farm.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of farm production and progress.
- Utilize sustainable agriculture methods, including weed management, integrated pest management, and develop of soil structure through composting.
- Purchase materials/supplies for the operation of the Farm
- Maintain food safety compliance and standards.
- Market and sell produce at Muskegon Farmers Market, online farm stand, and other venues.
PROGRAM MANAGEMENT AND SUPPORT
- Manage the volunteer program at the Farm including advertising, supervision, and record-keeping, and safety of volunteers while at the farm.
- Maintain social media presence and create weekly e-newsletter to CSA Members.
- Support the work of McLaughlin Grows’ Food and Farm Educator, connecting to efforts such as Muskegon Prescribes Food for Health, school field trips, Youth Empowerment Project (YEP!) summer work experiences, and/or after-school programs.
- Engage volunteers, neighbors, & program participants to build community relationships.
- Prepare farm reports for Steering Committee, Board meetings, and grant reporting.
- Represent McLaughlin Grows at community meetings and other outreach efforts.
- Cultivate relationships within the urban agriculture and local food systems communities.
- Participate in “Taste and See” (Community enCompass annual fundraising event) and one additional Farm to Table Event per calendar year.
More information about McLaughlin Grows can be found on our Facebook page and at http://www.communityencompass.org/mclaughlin-grows-urban-farm.
CANDIDATES WILL EXHIBIT:
- Three years of farming experience, some urban farming preferred, including some experience in a management role. Experience with hoop house/greenhouse cultivation.
- Commitment to sustainable practices including weed, pest and water management.
- Experience managing and generation of sales through both wholesale and CSA Program
- Business planning and crop planning experience
- Willingness to do physical labor in all weather.
- Ability to lift 50lbs.
- Basic carpentry skills, equipment maintenance skills, a plus.
- Flexibility to work non-traditional hours, including evening and weekends as scheduled.
- A commitment to keep our space clean and tidy and an understanding of the challenges of working within a multi-purpose space in an urban environment.
- Experience teaching/training volunteers in a farm or outdoor setting
- Highly competent in use of computers and technology on a daily basis.
- Experience with and dedication to data collection and reporting.
- Dedication to working as a member of and in partnership with diverse communities.
- Willingness to adapt to changing organizational conditions and limited resources.
- Experience in nonprofit and community-based organizations a plus
- Clean background check, driving record, and valid driver’s license will be required.
- Commitment to social, racial, and economic justice work, as part of a multi-racial team.
- Commitment to Asset Based Community Development philosophy/methodology.
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to use diplomacy and negotiation.
- Capable of working both independently and cooperatively.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, cope with change, & comfortably handle risk/uncertainty.
OVERSIGHT: Urban Farm Manager will report to the Community enCompass Executive Director and to the McLaughlin Grows Steering Committee, which meets monthly.
OUR TEAM, BENEFITS, AND COMPENSATION
We are proud of our team culture: friendly and informal, fast-paced, and mission-focused. We share a deep commitment to the mission of Community enCompass: to build healthy neighborhoods in partnership with our neighbors, in 4 key areas: Youth, Food, Housing, and Neighboring.
- $16 - $20 /hr commensurate with experience, paid vacation and sick leave. Additional sales commission commensurate with sales exceeding $50,000.
- Affordable housing options may be offered through Community enCompass, as available, for those relocating
ATTRACTING CANDIDATES OF ALL BACKGROUNDS
Community enCompass strongly encourages people from all backgrounds, especially people of color to apply for this position. We are an equal opportunity employer and we seek to develop a diverse workforce. We recognize that in order to better achieve our mission for neighborhood and community revitalization we need to continue to build an organization that supports, understands, and lives diversity - in our staffing and in our values. Preference given to Muskegon-area residents or those willing to relocate to the core city neighborhoods of Muskegon.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest that summarizes their skills and experience and why they are interested in this role, along with their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled, but priority will be given to applications received by February 15th, 2021.